The Gorgons

A day had passed since the plane crashed. Percy and I hid in a small empty house. We had all the lights turned off, and the curtains pulled shut. The tiny one story house was the first place we found, and we hadn't gone outside since.

The past day was a blur of cleaning wounds, vomiting, and mourning. We had no way of contacting anyone without going outside. Leo had designed special phones for them, but it wasn't safe to use them in Rome, so we planned on calling them from a phone booth or hotel phone. But since we were hiding in the house, we hadn't been able to contact anyone.

A few times Percy had peeked outside a window. Once he even saw a dracaenae across the street. We had hid in the bedroom, weapons ready, until we were sure it was gone. Percy held riptide, and I grabbed an old lamp.

The house had a FOR SALE sign in front of it, but the dust suggested nobody had looked at it in a long time.

I took a shower, and put on the same, dirty, clothes. Without a towel, I couldn't dry off, but I had been almost just as wet when I first got in the shower from the Tiber. I was surprised the house had running water.

I was still shocked by Chiron death, and thinking about him made me tear up, but I felt better than I did right after it happened. It didn't feel real, that he was actually dead.

I walked into the living room. The tan carpet was rough, and not soft. It's plainess matched the white walls. Percy was sitting on the couch, which was the only thing to occupy the living room besides the round coffee table in front of it. I wonder why whoever lived here left their stuff? Maybe they were selling it with the house. The only other furniture in the house was a bed, dining table, and a few other small things.

I sat next to him, and leaned against his shoulder. We hadn't talked much since we've been here, both shocked by Chiron's death.

"Who do you think sent them?" Percy asked, putting his arm around me. I thought for a second before responding.

"It could be anyone. Lots of monsters would be happy to see us dead."

Percy sighed. KNOCK! KNOCK!

We were on our feet in an instant staring at the door. I cast a worried glance at Percy. He pulled Riptide out of his pocket, and uncapped it.

"Hello? Bargain Mart delivery?" a female voice said. Percy's eyes widened, and he took a step back.

I looked at him confused. What is it? I mouthed, but he stared at the door. Finally he looked at me.

"We need to go. Now." he said seriously.

"Why? hat is it?" I demanded.

"It's Stheno! And I'm sure that means Euryale isn't far behind!" he whispered, but his tone made it seem like he was shouting. The gorgons? Could they be the dracaenae's masters?

"Let's go!" he pressured me, and I nodded. We started to walk to through the short hall leading to the kitchen and back door, keeping our eyes on the front door.

"Hello!?" Stheno said again, this time with an angry tone. She pounded on the door louder. I kept on my toes, trying to be quiet as possible.

"Stop with the act!" grumbled another voice, "Let's just knock the door down!" It must have been Euryale.

"Fine, fine." Stheno mumbled. BANG! The door shook, as the gorgons tried to break it down. Percy and I turned and ran to the back door, but we still tried to remain quiet.

BANG!

Percy fumbled with the door lock.

BANG!

The door fell out of the frame and hit the ground with a thud. Percy unlocked and opened the door, and we both ran out before we even saw the gorgons.
But we were both stopped, by two dracaenae armed with swords.

"Percy!" I shouted, and the one closest to me swung it's sword. I dove out the door, landing behind it on the hard, concrete floor. I was in an ally between our house and another. The right side was blocked off, but the left led back out into the city.

I examined my surroundings. There was a dumpster a few feet to my right, filled to the brim with trash bags. In one move, I ran to it, grabbed a trash bag, and flung it at the dracaenae. The monster fell over, and Percy stabbed the other one with Riptide. I ran to the monster on the ground, and ripped the sword out of it's hand. I raised the blade to stab it, but was knocked over.

I hit the ground, and the sword fell a few feet away from me. The breath was knocked out of me, and it took a few seconds to realise what was going on. My arm stung, and I looked down to see a long scrape along my wrist. It was starting to bleed, but I turned my focus back to where Percy was. He stood defensively in front of me. Sthenos, Euryale and the dracaenae were in front of him, smiling wickedly. They blocked the way out of the ally, and we were trapped.

The gorgons looked almost exactly the same. Snakes slithered around their head where hair should be. Boar claws came out above their mouths, they had scaly skin, and there were wings protruding from their backs. The hair resembled their other sister Medusa. Was she here to? Percy and I had killed her years ago before, so she definitely had a motive to try and kill us. And Percy has a run in with the other two gorgons, and killed them multiple times.

Percy swung riptide at the dracaenae, and I dove to the sword. My hand wrapped around the hilt, and I forced myself to stand. Percy was blocking attack from the Gorgons, and I saw dust in the air where the dracaenae had been.

I ran to join Percy in combat. Euryale swiped a clawed hand at me, and I dove out of the way. I gripped the sword with one hand, and grabbed the Gorgon's wrist in the other. Before she could pull her arm away, I swung the sword and cut it off. The arm landed on the ground, and Euryale yelled, taking a step back. Her expression was a mix of shock, and pain. "You'll pay for this!" she yelled. Her voice was filled with hatred.

She was caught off guard, and I took this as an advantage. I spun around and kicked the gorgon straight in the stomach. She doubled over and fell back, cursing. "Stupid demigod! We'll kill you both!" she shrieked, glaring at me.

"Good luck doing that from the ground!" I smirked, and raised my sword to stab the gorgon through the heart. But, at the last moment, she jumped and flew up. I gasped, and looked up to see her.

Euryale's feet collided into the side of my head, and I slammed into the alley wall. I stumbled, my head spinning. I felt hot, sticky blood on the side of my face, and spit more blood out onto the concrete ground. The gorgon laughed, and dropped back to the ground.

She swung her remaining arm at me, but I ducked and slammed into her full force. She gasped, and we both fell to the ground. I fell on top of her, and the gorgon hissed.

My body aching, I rolled off of her, and swung my sword.

"NO!" Euryale yelled, using her remaining arm to cover her face. My sword hit it's mark, and decapitated the gorgon. Without wasting a second, I turned to Percy. He was on the floor, and Sthenos stood over him. Blood coated his side, and he looked like he was in a lot of pain. Riptide was a few feet away, but in his state, I doubted he could reach it.

I stood, and ran up behind Sthenos. I ran as silently as possible, and when I got to the gorgon, I swung my sword. She was decapitated in second. When her body fell to the ground and she exploded into dust, I ran to Percy, and kneeled next to him.

A long cut from Stheno's claws ran down the left side of his torso. His shirt was soaked in blood. I needed to clean out the wound before it got infected. Percy's face was pained, and he looked teary.

"Hey, it's okay." I whispered in Percy's ear. "But you need to stand up. The sooner we get out of here, the better.

"Yeah, I know." Percy groaned, clutching his side. His voice was shaky. Her claws had cut him deep.

I thought about our options for a second. It would be best to get Percy inside, and to the bathroom, to clean out the wound. But it wasn't safe staying here. More dracaenae could come back at any moment.

But there was no where else to go. And besides, with Percy injured we couldn't exactly run away. So maybe it would be better to try and hide in the house again. I said a silent prayer to my mother, grabbed Riptide, and started to help Percy stand up.