The Defeat (Part One)

The dracaenae was slithering around fifty feet away, and I turned back to Percy. "Found some." I whispered. Percy smirked.

We slowly crept down the streets of Rome, following the dracaenae. We needed to find out where they were coming from, and who sent them. And then hopefully stop them and finally end this whole thing.

We followed the monsters through the city. We walked around houses, alleys, and streets. Percy and I made sure to keep a distance so they didn't see us, and we tried to remain hidden.

I started to recognize the area. I scanned the buildings, trying to find out what was so similar. Then it hit me.

"Are we going to the Tiber?" I asked, turning to Percy. He looked around, and the realization hit him.

"I think we are." he said, and we continued to follow the monsters. This had been the path we followed when we were running away from the Tiber in the first place. But, it would be good to be near water if there was a fight. And I was sure there would be.

As we got closer, I could start the see the crumbling bridge. It had caution tape around it, but otherwise looked untouched. I looked and saw where the plane had been. I wonder if it was still at the bottom of the river?

When we got to the bridge, the dracaenae jumped down the side of it, by the shoreline of the Tiber. Percy and I continued to trek forward.

I was almost completely positive it was the Gorgons who had planned all of this. They each had a reason to want us dead, and it wouldn't be that hard for them to go around and assemble a dracaenae army. Hopefully, if we killed the Gorgon's, the dracaenae would back off.

We leaned down and looked over the side of the bridge. The dracaenae were gone. I swung around, jumped off, ad landed on the ground. Percy followed, and we looked around.

"Where did they go?" he asked. I examined everything, and something caught my eye. I approached the stone wall next to the bridge, and studied it. I smirked.

"It's a door!" I said, and Percy turned to look at me. He looked confused, and I traced the door outline in stone. His eyes widened, and he walked over to me, and smiled.

"Your right, Wise Girl." he leaned in and kissed me. I smiled and turned back to the door. I ran my hand door the smooth stone, and pushed it. The stone move slightly, and I leaned into it, pushing harder. Within seconds, the door opened to a passage.

I smirked, and put a finger to my lips, telling Percy to remain quiet. He nodded, and we entered the hall. The ground was gross and muddy, and water dripped from above. The walls were a dark stone, and some of it was cracked. Torches on the walls lit the passage, and gave it an eerie feel.

I sighed, and began to walk down it. It seemed to go on for miles, and I couldn't see where it ended. Being under Rome gave me flashbacks of my run in with Arachne. I shuddered thinking about her.

Eventually we came to a fork in the tunnels. I turned to Percy, and he shrugged. I surveyed each tunnel. None of them seemed any different. All the same stone, and muddy floors.

I heard slithering to my right and jumped back, concealing myself in the passage. Two voices were whispering, but I couldn't hear what they were saying. I held my breath, and peaked into the right hall after a minute. I decided to follow them, and gestured Percy to go down the right hall.

We held hands as we made our way down the passage. Eventually, I could see where it ended, and saw light coming from the left. "I love you." Percy whispered.

"I love you, too." I smiled, squeezing his hand. "Gods, I hope we make it out of here. We'll need to contact the others back home when this is done."