one

mature content warning

OPAL'S POV

Taking a deep breath, I walk through the doors of my high school for the first day of senior year. Everyone trudged through the halls, tired, not wanting to be here.

"Opal!" My best friend, Celia, grinned and linked arms with me. "Only 165 days of school until we graduate. Let's get this the hell over with."

I laughed as she dragged me down the hall toward my locker, feeling slightly in better spirits. She definitely distracted me from my nerves though.

More often than not, school gave me headaches from stress. The first week was always the worst.

Just in general, being in the building, surrounded by my peers was exhausting. All I wanted to do was lie on the couch and play video games, or text Celia and watch Netflix, but my dad would kill me if I dropped out and did nothing all day.

"Gimme your schedule," I demanded, ripping it out of her hands. "Hmm... we've got our last two classes together on both days."

"Could be worse," she shrugs, taking it back from me. "Last year, alright? We got this."

"You're way too optimistic, Lia. We'll be lucky if I even make it through first period without banging my head against the desk just so I can go to the nurse."

First period, English with the worst teacher in the school.

Okay, so maybe not the worst, but Mr. Walsh enjoyed class discussions where everyone participated, and that was my nightmare. Making a mental note to get myself an appointment to switch out of his class, I slammed my locker shut as Celia and I parted ways.

Luckily, I was decently early to class, so I had my pick of seats. For a fast exit, I grabbed one close to the door. Unfortunately, the seats were in a circle, so I already knew it wouldn't be a fun class.

As the room filled up I felt my heart sinking. Not a single person I felt comfortable enough to talk to, even just here and there throughout class. In fact, most of them I actively avoided. Just a lot of the loud, obnoxious guys.

It's not like I hated any of them—but they definitely amplified my anxiety. Especially when the room was pretty much packed with them like this.

No one had yet sat next to me, which I was thanking God for in my head. I guess I spoke too soon though.

There are only two empty seats left, and they're both filled up before I can even offer to scoot over. I bite my tongue as I notice Grayson Dolan on my left, and his brother Ethan on my right.

Cringing, I look down at my desk and pretend to be very interested in the scribbled writing on it. They're just talking to their friends, ignoring me thankfully.

The damn bell hasn't even rung yet. It's gonna be a long day.

"Opal," Grayson says, nudging me with his arm. I glance at him, wave lightly, and reach for my headphones. "Hey, E, did I tell you that Opal and I are dating?"

My eyes widen as I look at him, the smirk on his face making me feel sick. I glance to my right and Ethan's expression mirrors mine, as does a few of their other friends. He looks to his brother and gapes, "what? Wait, since when, dude? I've never even seen you guys hangout!"

"We absolutely are not," I splutter, shaking my head. "Please, leave me alone."

It was just such a stupid little joke, one he probably wouldn't think about after ten minutes, but I'd think about it for days, nervously replaying the moment in my mind.

He's laughing, high-fiving his brother as if my heart wasn't about to beat out of my chest. Grayson doesn't even notice.

"You had me worried for a second there, bro," Ethan shakes his head. That stung a little.

Fortunately, class begins before anyone else can make jokes about it. I never thought I'd be grateful for Mr. Walsh to start teaching, and yet now it seems like the best option.

He starts droning on about the syllabus for this year, which is about when I check out. I don't check back in until everyone is getting out of their seats.

Not for the end of class though—an icebreaker.

"I assume you all know one another well enough, but I'd like to know what kind of people you are," our teacher says. "It's easy, no pressure, I'm just gonna give you two options and you'll go to either the left or right, depending on what you prefer. I'll probably ask one of you on both sides to explain why you picked something, or you guys can debate it if you want."

Please don't pick me.

And he doesn't, for a few questions. The outgoing kids are able to joke around and have fun, and I'm able to sit in the back and calm down.

Grayson is whispering with some friends, and thank god he's no longer interacting with me. Maybe this isn't so bad.

"Go to the left if you prefer big parties, and the right if you prefer small hangouts."

Me and a few other kids go to the right, and pretty much everyone else goes the the left. With the people in our class it's not surprising most of them prefer parties, considering they're pretty much all friends.

I just like to hangout with Celia, bake cookies, play stupid games, and make fun of bad movies. Thats what we do every time we can muster up the motivation to make plans, once every couple weeks or so. I was content with only that.

We texted all the time, but actually planning something took a lot of poking and prodding from both of us. But it was mutual.

"Shocker," Ethan laughs on the other side of the room. "Have you ever even been to a party, Opal?"

It didn't sound like he was asking it to be mean, they just all found it a little bit funny. I just wished the attention was on anyone else, but of course, the start of senior year had to be like this.

"Well, no, but—"

"We're throwing one next weekend," Grayson grins. "You should stop by, have some fun for once."

"Hey, watch it," Mr. Walsh warns. Someone should just put me out of my misery now.

Next weekend was Labor Day weekend, so it would be a bit longer and of course they'd throw a party. I just wouldn't be in attendance—that many people really isn't my scene.

Though, with them being my neighbors I knew I'd be in for a long night when the time came. I always was. They weren't even aware I lived right next door, and I intended to keep it that way.

The moment passes, and after another excruciating half hour, the bell sets me free. My next class is study hall, easy at least.

I groan internally as I see Grayson walk in the cafeteria shortly after me, but he goes to sit with some friends on the other side of the room. And as soon as the teacher comes in, I get a pass to go to guidance to fix my schedule. I'm only making an appointment, but if I'm lucky I'll get one as soon as tomorrow.

Study hall is fine, but I'll be damned if I have to stay in that English class. If only I could drop out. Now I just have to hope the rest of my classes will be fine.

I never thought I really hated anyone at school, but Grayson Dolan just became the first person to make that list.

A/N

this is a story concept ive had in my notes for literally FOUR FUCKING YEARS

like idk I've been coming up with stuff for it for four years but I just never started writing it. but i was listening to the song I Like (the idea of) You by Tessa Violet and i just got the motivation to finally start it. Hence, the title

i don't write many Grayson stories lately (i still love him <3) but this just feels like a Grayson story to me. like in my head I can't fit it with Ethan. usually it's the opposite, but I'm not mad about that

also ive been writing so much third person lately pls excuse my first person narration she's rusty. but i love this story a lot, so :') thanks for checking it out