eighteen

OPAL'S POV

I sat on Grayson's bed, scrolling through my phone and waiting for him to come back from the shower. It was dark already, though that didn't mean much since it was December. We were currently on holiday break, the two of us hanging out every day of it so far.

Ethan knocked on the door, letting himself in. "Hey, Opal," he smiled, sitting next to me on Grayson's bed. "You change your mind about tonight?"

"What do you mean?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows. Grayson and I were just planning to watch movies tonight.

"A bunch of us are going to play manhunt at the old cemetery. Gray said you guys weren't up for it," he shrugs. "Wanted to see if maybe you'd rethought?"

Grayson didn't mention that to me.

If he didn't want to go, why wouldn't he at least make an offhand comment about it to me? Why say no for both of us and hide it?

"Yeah, actually. We'll come," I tell him. It's stupid but... I want to go out and do something together for once. Even if it's just playing manhunt with other people. "When are we leaving?"

"About an hour? Make sure to bundle up, it's cold out there," Ethan hums, leaving the room again.

I knew I should've talked to Grayson first, but he probably would've said no again. I didn't get what his problem was, why'd he always want to stay home and do nothing but make out?

Plus, it was just a game of manhunt. As nervous as I was to be around his friends, it couldn't be that bad.

Taking out my phone, I texted Celia. We'd hung out less lately, both of us a little busy, but we had still been texting each other updates.

Opal: you and Julie playing manhunt tonight?
Celia: yeah! will we actually see you there?
Opal: looks like it
Celia: wow
Celia: can't believe you guys are leaving the house for once

Yeah, me neither. Grayson catches my attention as he walks back in, only wearing boxers with a towel over his shoulder.

"Take a picture, babe. It'll last longer."

"Shut up," I mumble, shoving my face into his pillow. He just chuckles and climbs into bed next to me, his hair still dripping a little bit. "Not gonna get dressed at all?"

"Mm, nope. You can strip too," Grayson grins. "In fact, you should."

"Well, actually..." I trail off. Didn't really enjoy the idea of telling him this. "I told Ethan we'd go play manhunt with them."

"Huh?" His eyebrows furrow. He's obviously wondering how I even heard about it, since he did his best to hide the fact from me. "Why? We were gonna stay in and watch movies."

I sigh, pouting at him. "Gray, we can watch movies anytime. That's practically all we do lately."

He shrugs, reaching for his phone. "I'd really rather stay in. Mind if I text E and cancel?"

"Actually, yeah, I do."

Grayson's eyes widen for a split second as he looks back at me. I was comfortable enough to snap at him now, not that I liked to.