fifteen

OPAL'S POV

I woke up alarm free, the sunlight shining through my curtains and landing on my face. Glancing at my phone, I saw it was just after ten, Friday morning.

All week I'd gotten to sleep in, having stayed home from school. Well... the week before I stayed home for most of too, but that's because it was Thanksgiving break. This week we had school, but my dad let me stay home.

I'd just been alone, relaxing. It had been really nice.

After eating a bagel, I climb into the shower, my music playing, zoning out for a while. I only have time to towel-dry my hair when I'm out before I hear a knock.

Celia was coming over today, so I just assumed it was her. I wrapped a towel around myself and went to answer it.

"Why are you here so early? Don't you have—Grayson?"

He was standing on my doorstep, holding tupperware in his hands. He's got a small smile, before taking in my appearance.

Grayson's eyes trail slowly up and down my body, and I'm suddenly feeling self-conscious in just a towel. There's still water dripping down my skin.

I clear my throat, "uh, what are you doing here?"

"Celia said you were sick? You haven't been at school all week," he frowns. I step aside and motion for him to come in.

"Just let me get dressed," I mumble, leaving him standing in my kitchen. His eyes are burning into me as I walk toward my bedroom.

What is he doing here?

We haven't spoken since the day I saw him about to hookup with a girl in his bedroom. I didn't think I was going to see him, or at least talk to him for a long time—yet he just showed up at my doorstep because he thought I'd been sick.

It was... sweet, almost. It would've been, if we hadn't been fighting.

Though it was my choice now. He apologized, which was really all he could do, but I was purposely pushing him away. I knew that was on me. And it was intentional.

Letting Grayson in again was a bad idea, right? After everything, we were better off staying not-friends. Both of us could go back to normal.

"So, what's up?" I asked, biting my lip as I walked back out. The air was thick with tension.

"You're not sick?" He asks, crossing his arms. I just shrug. "Well, I brought you some soup. And cookies. My mom made them, not me, don't worry," he motions toward the tupperware on my counter.

He thought I was sick, so he brought me soup and cookies.

Grayson was making it really hard to stay mad at him. I'd never been so weak over a stupid, asshole guy before. I knew I should be pissed at him, and a small part of me still was, but mostly I just kind of missed him annoying me.

"...thank you."

"God, Opal, when are you gonna quit ignoring me?" He sighed, looking me up and down again. "Do I need to get on my hands and knees and beg for your forgiveness? Because I will—but it'll be embarrassing so if I do, you can't tell anyone."

I let out a small laugh, shaking my head. "You don't need to do that."

"Then why won't you talk to me?" Grayson huffs. "Don't tell me you stayed home from school this week just to avoid me."

"No, of course not."

I knew this question would come up. It wasn't something I liked talking about, or really wanted to answer.