two

OPAL'S POV

Yawning, I smile at the note from my dad on the chalkboard as I walk toward the bathroom to brush my teeth. He liked to leave me notes in the morning before he left for work, because he knew how much I dreaded school.

He didn't get it, not at all since I assured him I wasn't bullied, but he cared. That was enough for me.

I FaceTime Celia while doing my eyeliner, whose first week at school seemed much better than mine was. I'm just glad I had some classes with her.

"He hasn't bugged you again though, right?" She hums, asking about Grayson.

"No... him and his brother haven't spoken to me again since the first day. I have a couple other classes with them, as I've complained about, but they leave me alone luckily. And today, hopefully, I get out of that shitty English class!" Saying it out loud made me grin.

"It sounds horrible. I hope you get to switch to mine," Celia and I both had English first period, on the same day, with different teachers.

"Wouldn't that be nice?" I laugh, looking at the time. "Shit, gotta go, I'll see you at school."

With that, I hang up, rush to put my shoes and hoodie on, and leave in a hurry. I walked to school, so I always had to leave a little early.

My morning walks were nice, though. At least when the weather was. I took back roads, listened to music, prepared myself to face another day at school.

Instead of going to English when I get there, I go straight to guidance. They have me wait a long time, most of class actually, but I'm not exactly upset about missing it. Especially if I'm switching out, which is the plan.

"Now, what exactly is your problem with this class again?" The counselor asks, already signing my forms.

"It's just... not the right environment for me," I nod slowly, hoping he doesn't mind the vague answer. He's too tired to care.

"Yeah, alright, here's your new schedule," he waves. "If you have any more problems, the last day to schedule an appointment to switch is tomorrow."

Leaving his office, I'm filled with a sense of relief. Without that class, maybe this year will be good.

As I'm walking through the hallway, I barely notice anyone's in front of me until I crash into their backs. Ethan and Grayson, of course.

"Opal, you're here today?" Ethan asks, not letting me walk away. "You missed English."

"Yeah, I was just—"

"Skipping?" Grayson grins. "Don't make us tell Mr. Walsh. Thats pretty unlike you—are you turning into a slacker?"

The tone in his voice was teasing, playful, but it didn't make me dislike him any less. "I was in a meeting with guidance about my schedule. I wasn't skipping."

The two of them raise their eyebrows, and notice the paper in my hand. "That your schedule? Lemme see."

Ethan snatches it before I can do anything, and I'm really starting to think that I just can't have a good day. I would walk away, but I need the room number for my teacher because I haven't looked at it yet.