eight

OPAL'S POV

Stepping outside of my house, I pulled up my hood with a sigh. It was down-pouring. I had to leave now if I wanted to make it to school on time, and my umbrella was unfortunately in my locker.

"Opal!" I hear vaguely over the rain. Squinting, I see Grayson yelling at me from his front door. "Come here!"

With a small roll of my eyes, I rush over toward his house. Grayson yanks me inside and shuts the door behind us. "What's up? I gotta get walking."

"Yeah, you're not walking in that," he chuckles. "We leave in 15. I'll drive you."

"You don't have to—"

"Opal, it's fucking pouring. And getting cold. Don't argue with me today."

Nodding, I draw my lips into a tight line and stand silently in his doorway. It was no use fighting about it... plus it was pretty gross out.

"You have breakfast?" He hums, stuffing things into his bag.

"I don't really eat breakfast," I shrug. It was a rare occasion I was hungry first thing in the morning. Grayson rolls his eyes and tosses me a granola bar from the kitchen. "No thanks, I'm just not—"

"Eat it, Opal."

Frowning, I slowly open it and take a bite. "Where's Ethan?"

As I ask, a loud groan comes from under the pile of blankets on the couch. It shifts slightly, and Ethan's head of messy hair pops out.

He waves, barely lifting his head to look at me, and then collapses again. His skin was pale and he was bundled up.

"I'm sick," he mumbles, lips drawn into a pout.

"He'll be fine, it's a cold. Ethan's just dramatic," Grayson laughs, jogging up the stairs and leaving me down here. I feel a little uncomfortable just standing around his house like this.

Ethan lets out another groan. "It's not just a cold, Opal. I think I'm dying. Come over and say goodbye because this is the last time you'll ever see me alive."

With a laugh, I walk over as he motions for me. I kneel on the floor beside the couch and he turns to look at me, absolutely pathetic.

"Do I have a fever?" I hum, feeling his forehead, and nod. "See? I'm dying."

"I'm sorry you're sick," I laugh again.

"Could you get me some water?" Ethan begs. With a small sigh, I nod and go grab him a glass. "Thank you, Opal. Ditch school and be my nurse?"

"Oh my god, E, leave her alone. You know she'll never stand up for herself," Grayson comes back downstairs, reaching for his bag. "Let's head out, Opal. He's gonna be fine."

"Okay, so maybe she won't but I wasn't doing anything mean! I'm dying here, Gray. I need someone to nurse me back to health... plus, Opal looks really good on her knees like that—"

"I think it's time to go," Grayson shakes his head. My eyes almost pop out of my head as I stand, Ethan laughing until he coughs as I'm dragged out the door. "Sorry about him he's... well, yeah, sorry. He was just messing with you to see your reaction."

I don't think I'll ever get used to that. The most surprising thing was Grayson not laughing along.

Since I walked out of their house on Saturday we hadn't really spoken. I was starting to think my life could go back to normal, but now I'm not so sure again.

Celia lost it when I told her about what happened. She kept yelling at me, telling me I should've kissed him or something, so I couldn't take her seriously. It wasn't like that, but I can see how it came off that way.

"Are you coming to the football game next Friday night?" Grayson asks, looking for a parking spot.

"Probably not," I shrug. "Not my thing."

"You should! It's senior year, have some fun," he teases. "Ethan and I will be there if you can't get Celia to go with you."

They'd be there—with all of their friends. They were a lot more annoying with them.

Football games had just never been my scene. They're cold, and I have no idea how football works, so I usually just don't go to them.

Climbing out of the car, I give him a small smile. "Thanks for the ride. See you in english?"

Gray nods and waves without even looking up, digging through some stuff in the car. I rush inside the building, attempting to stay as dry as possible, and bump right into Celia.

She grins as I tell her Grayson drove me, pressing me for details as if I have any. Nothing happened.

Not that something should've, or that I was hoping for it. It was just a ride to school.

We walk to english together, sitting in our usual seats, still talking the entire time. When Grayson shows up he takes his seat right in front of us, but doesn't glance back.

Come study hall I'm sitting down, putting in my headphones when someone sits across from me. And then two more people sit down on either side of him.

"Opal," Mark starts, glancing me up and down. "We heard you told Grayson you're still a virgin."

That's what they're here for? It should not be that big of a deal. And... I can't believe Grayson mentioned it. How did they even get to that kind of discussion about me?

"Uh, I guess—"

"What're we talking about?" Grayson asks, taking a seat next to me. I narrow my eyes at him the second he does.

"Oh, just who's gonna take Opal's virginity," Ryan grins. "My money's on Ethan."

"Mine too," Josh laughs. "You saw her all over him at their party a few weeks back, right? Surprised he didn't take it that night."

I can't believe I'm sitting here for this right now.

As if it's weird that I'm still a virgin, as if I'm a prize to be won. And they're all laughing about it, watching my cheeks flush red.

Despite the embarrassment, my veins are also flooded with anger. I guess I was right to assume it was better for me to not say anything, because now that they know they're somehow more annoying than before.

As I look to Grayson, he just rolls his eyes. "Grayson, what the hell?"

"Hm?" He shrugs. "It came up when we were talking. They asked me why you're always so uptight—told 'em you probably just needed to be fucked or something."

Somehow, that's the worst thing Grayson has ever said to me.

The four of them laugh as I gape at him, and he has a ridiculously cocky smirk on his face. To think I ever considered him nice.

"Yeah, Opal, loosen up," Mark tsks. "Well, figuratively. No one likes a loose—"

I cut him off by standing up and grabbing my bag. I'm not listening to this anymore. As I walk toward the door, Grayson yells, "wow, ditching class? Calm down, Opal!"

I don't go back to study hall that day.

A/N

dammit Grayson smh

yes i updated again sorry it's him being annoying tho oops