ten

OPAL'S POV

Sighing, I followed Celia behind the bleachers, fiddling with my fingers. She convinced me to come to the football game.

It was getting pretty deep into fall, so it was our last home game of the season, and therefore of high school. She insisted we had to go for the memory, but I think she was just hoping to see Julie.

They had barely spoken since the party. It was awkward, but obvious they both liked each other. Celia had been whining about her for weeks now, it was cute how much she liked the girl. I didn't like how Julie ghosted her, but I didn't know what was going on so I couldn't say much. I had enough problems with a certain boy myself that I couldn't judge.

We hung out under the bleachers for a bit, not wanting to go sit, and unable to join the student section since neither of us were wearing school colors. Not that we really wanted to though. It was loud and crowded over there.

"Celia?" Julie asks from behind. "Ca-can we talk?"

Celia looks to me, a huge grin on her face, asking if they can talk for a few minutes. I nod with a laugh. I'm not gonna stop her from talking to Julie—she hurt her, but seemingly wanted to fix that now.

When Celia doesn't come back for 20 minutes, I shoot her a text telling her to have fun, and then decide to head out. I figured she would come back, but I think her and Julie made up and are making out somewhere now. I'm not interested in third-wheeling tonight anyway. As I'm passing concessions, I hear someone yelling my name.

"Opal!" Grayson yells again, jogging up to me. "I thought you weren't com—wait, are you leaving already? It's not even halftime."

I shrug, "yeah, I only came because Celia wanted me to, but she's with Julie now."

Maybe I was a little offended she completely ditched me without so much as a text. But it did give me an excuse to leave early and go eat pizza at home, and she's liked Julie for so long I understood why she was preoccupied.

"Oh, c'mon, it's the last game. You can't leave, come sit with me. I'm just grabbing a hot chocolate," he urges, dragging me back to the line before I can even say no. "I promise I won't even try to steal your phone this time. And a lot of my friends are on the team, so you won't have to see them. It'll just be me annoying you tonight. And probably Ethan—two hot chocolates, please?"

Knowing Grayson, it's apparent he won't take no for an answer, so I don't bother. Also, since his friends won't be around, there's a good chance he'll be nice.

Sure, Celia ditched me, but I can still have fun. She's my best friend, but we don't have to be together all the time. I deserve to have fun.

Grayson hands me a hot chocolate, laughing at my furrowed brows. "You do like hot chocolate, right?"

"Yeah, but I didn't—"

"I already paid for it for you, you have to drink it now," he shrugs, leading me toward the bleachers. "Plus, it's really fuckin' cold. Your cheeks are like, bright red."

That wasn't really because of the cold, but I didn't correct him. Instead, I thanked him as I sipped on the hot chocolate.

As we approached the student section, I groan. "Grayson, I'm not wearing school colors."

"So? No one will bother you if you're with me, babe," babe? He's gotta be fucking with me now. "I'm sure someone has some face paint too—Ella! Got any face paint on you?"

"Yeah! You want dots or just eye black?" She asks, reaching for her bag as we walk up toward her.

"Uh, eye black," I mumble, feeling her spread the greasy black paint on my cheeks. "Thank you."