19. The Calm Before the Storm

The day Ryuichi left, Yukio received a call.

"Dad."

"There's a business meeting that I need to attend in Fukushima tomorrow but some dealings here in Hamburg hinder me from leaving. Go in my stead."

Although Yukio wasn't as fierce and officious as he was, this son of his undoubtedly had his own charms at work. So far, since he took over the CEO position of Quantum Corporation, no negotiation had ever failed and no deal had ever fallen into an undesirable conclusion. His ways were lenient, gentle and considerate but firm, logical and strategic. Even the number of enemies the corporation earned within decades of winning over countless competitors shrunk and most of them turned into allies.

Besides, no matter how a discussion turned, how could someone be irate towards a person who was sincerely and consistently on a good vibe?

"Is this about the new plant for renewable energy?"

"Yes, the negotiations are still on. Don't disappoint me."

"Yes, dad."

"Bring Eiji with you. He's into construction business, give him some projects there."

Although Yukio knew that this was a consolation for making him work and handle one of the most competitive projects that they currently had, he was still ecstatic that his father finally had favorable thoughts for his half-brother. "Thank you, dad."

"Don't forget, my expectations are high." It was clearly for both of them. Not that he wasn't used to it yet, he just didn't like the feeling of being reminded.

"Bye, dad."

He wasn't worried about the deal, he had positive notions about it and he was certain he could clinch a good deal. The one that made him feel uneasy was the thought of Ryuichi. Sure enough, the latter would be against him suddenly traveling and working. These days, he could clearly see and feel how his husband was doing his best in securing his pregnancy.

"It's just one day." He affectionately rubbed the bump in his abdomen and talked to the tiny palpitating life inside. "We'll just have to be very, very careful and we'll be home before your father comes back." 

"Hmm, it wouldn't be a problem." He silently thought but also hoped. Without delaying it, he then took his phone and dialed Eiji's number.

"Hey."

"Hi. Where are you now?"

"Tokyo. Just arrived. You need me there?"

"I'm sorry, I know you're tired but I do need you. Not here though." He took a pause waiting for Eiji to respond but the other side just waited for him to continue. "In Fukushima, tomorrow, first thing in the morning. It's business."

"Business?" Unsure if he heard it right. His presence was unwanted in the corporation since his existence was known.

"Dad personally suggested it."

"You sure you got it right? You can't just hallucinate with this stuff, you know."

It was an obvious teasing jeer and Yukio laughed. "No, I wasn't hallucinating. He made you a compensation for making me go there."

"Oh. So now I'm useful to the mighty Genzo." The laughter was sarcastic but nevertheless, it wasn't offensive.

"Yes, that's actually the case." Both of them were making light of the situation. "Can you come with me then?"

"Okay. I'll have my secretary book two flights now. We can talk about the details during the flight."

"Are you in a hurry now?" He could hear some movements and knew that Eiji was in a rush.