How About Water And A Chat

"Y-you've got pretty e-eyes." I shoved at Zanthus's shoulder and scoffed.

"They're the same colour as yours, you dolt." He shoved me back playfully and tightened his arm across my middle to keep me in place.

"W-What have I done to d-d-deserve that?" I laugh, resting my head back on his shoulder.

"I told you your eyes were pretty once, you told me they're awful."

I didn't have to open my eyes to know he was rolling his into the depths of his head. "Once," He grumbled, squeezing me closer to him nonetheless.

"Don't be lame, it happened. It was a detrimental day for me." Zanthus sighed, carding his fingers through my hair.

"You're eyes are s-s-still lovely." The material of his shirt was soft between my fingers. I tilted my head upwards to catch a glimpse of him.

"We've got the same eyes, you know this right? We've like, just been over it." He started to shake his head, "Yes we do!" I exclaimed, jumping up which caused his arm to fall to the bed.

"What'vre." He snaked his arm back around my waist in an attempt to pull me back beside him. I narrowed my eyes at him and pinched his hand lightly. He let go with a huff, eyes incredulous.

"No, not happening. I'm not settling back with you until you admit we've got the same eyes." I raised my eyebrows pointedly, crossing my arms.

"D-Does it really m-matter, love?" His complaints provided little avail. None at all, that is. I pushed myself to the edge of his bed and hopped down onto the floor. As I made my way over to his sofa, I heard the duvet ruffling indicating he'd gotten up to follow in suit.

"Yes, it does matter in fact." I plopped down on the farthest cushion. I swung my legs up to prevent him from sitting beside me. Zanthus sighed, eyeing my legs only to shake his head. He walked over and took hold of my ankles, ignoring my sounds of protest as he set them on his lap instead.

"Angel," He started, but after a glance my way he decided against proceeding. I scoff, picking at nails.

"Don't Angel me, Zanthus."

"W-Why are you s-so upset? I-It's not anything s-s-serious." I knew he was right, but my ego willed me to carry on being stubborn as I was.

"Yes, it is actually." I felt myself getting worked up, and despite the part of me, that knows I've got no grounds to be at all. He gave me a compliment for fuck sake.

The past few days had brought on copious amounts of stress. My mind wouldn't stray from the message William had sent me Wednesday evening. Given I hadn't spoken to William much despite when necessary over the past few weeks, it was odd enough to receive a message out of random from him. Even more so when I came to find what the contents of the message held.

I couldn't help but let everything bubble to the surface at this point. I could tell Zanthus was aware of the tension that formed between us, and it made me feel even worse. It wasn't his fault, and I knew I'd have to let him in on what was happening soon enough but for some reason, there's something I feel holding me back from talking things over with Zanthus.

"B-Baby." His tone was soft and it takes everything inside of me not shatter at the delicateness of it.

"I'm sorry, I-God I'm so stupid. We were talking about eye colour-you were trying to compliment me! And now I've gone and ruined it all." I heard Zanthus hum beside me, hand running over my shin softly.

He brought his head closer to mine, letting our foreheads rest against each other. "I really am sorry, Zeze," I whispered letting my eyes fall shut.