Chapter 2

The sound of crackling ember of the fireplace fills the quiet room, every once in a while a rustle and the sound of turning pages could be heard. The room is dim, lit just enough for the figure inside to read the book grasped in his hands.

A man sits in a large, red armchair, silver hair let loose and drapes over his shoulders. He wears a white dress shirt unbuttoned at the top and black slacks. His icy-blue eyes scan the pages as he seats one leg over the other, one hand twirling his silver locks.

An exquisite silver wolf mask rests on his lap, as well as an elegant cane, with a wolf head perched on top, that stood next to the armchair. A tall black top hat stands upright on one of the large tables in the room.

A knock echoes in the room and a female voice could be heard from the other side, "May I come in, Moonlight?"

The man, Joseph Desaulniers or more widely known as the Moonlight Gentleman, sets the old novel he was reading aside. He picks up the silver wolf mask on his lap and places it on his nose.

The silver wolf mask now rests elegantly on the bridge of his nose, a signature of the infamous Moonlight Gentleman. A man whose riches and power are only beneath the King's, whose icy blue eyes strike fear into the hearts of the people, and who's known as the deceitful wolf.

"Come in."

A young woman dressed in a gorgeous red and black gown steps into the room, heels clicking against the floor with every step she makes. A golden crown rests on her head, a prized heirloom from their mother. An elegant mask with red and black tear stains cover her face from the world, and only her icy blue eyes are revealed through the tear-stained sockets of her mask.

A blood-red lace necklace littered with rubies chokes her delicate neck as she cranes her neck to scan the room. Her eyes finally settle on the white-clad male and elegantly walks over.

"What do you want, dear sister?" Joseph asks as he glances at her, folding his hands neatly in his lap.

"I'm here to remind you that the noble gathering is today, Brother. I presume you have forgotten, haven't you?" the lady, Mary as they call her, chuckled.

"Ahh, yes... with the coming of the bitter winter, my work has gotten the best of me. My apologies for that," Joseph answered as he hummed at her direction.

"Enough moping around, we must make haste. I've heard Count's Soiree had made quite an entrance bringing over a very large feast for the gathering," Mary urged as she saw her brother didn't make any moves to stand up.

"Well that's oddly peculiar of him, he must've been in a good mood," Joseph stared in surprise. Usually Count's Soiree would never go out of his way for anyone.

"I think so too. I've also got you your invitation to the Iron Commander's courting ceremony next month. We should go and rejoice on their special day," Mary stated as she saw her brother stand up and dust off his clothes.

"Very well, I shall find the time to do so," Joseph replied as he picked up his top hat from the large table.

"Then let's go, shall we? We shouldn't keep the others waiting."

Joseph nods and rises from his seat. He grabs the expensive gold-embroidered black coat and puts on the black top hat. He takes one last look at a nearby golden framed mirror, cold icy blue eyes stare back at him. He grabs his cane.

"Let's."

The two stride out of the reading room, taking long strides through the halls. Large tinted mosaic windows loom over the pair, decorative saint statues cast their melancholic gazes at the two as they pass over. Chandeliers hand on the ceiling, the crystals reflecting the ray of the sun, lighting the beautiful paintings of angels and deities that cover the ceiling of the Moonlight Manor.