Chapter 12

Aesop slowly blinks his eyes open almost immediately grunting in pain. The searing pain coursing through his veins making him whimper. A knock on his door makes him jump, body trembling in fear and anxiety. The door creaks open revealing familiar platinum blond hair and a gentle smile.

"How are you doing, Dear?" Violetta asks gently, seating by the edge of his bed. Gently running a hand through his sweaty grey locks.

"It h-hurts," Aesop whimpers, leaning into Violetta's gentle hand trying his best to ignore the unbearable pain of the heat.

"I know, Dear," she whispers, all too familiar with how her pup feels. "Come on now, go get some rest. The next time you wake up, I'll have a bowl of herb stew by your bedside, ok?" She kisses Aesop's forehead and rises to leave the room.

At the sound of the door closing, Aesop buries his face into his pillow, gritting his teeth in pain. The pain making tears spring into his eyes as he shuts his eyes in hoping to get some rest. His mind wanders to the scent of a certain alpha. Imagining being wrapped up in his arms surrounded by the calming scent of citrus and sandalwood. His breathing slowly starts to even out as his eyes finally begin to droop. Falling into the dreamless sleep at the ghost of his alpha's scent.

Soft humming could be heard from the kitchen as Yidhra makes her way through the living room. The pups are nowhere to be seen. Those little rascals. They better be home before dinner or her dear mate will give them an earful.

She arrives at their small kitchen, leaning on the doorway as she watches the other omega cook. Yidhra approaches silently, almost soundlessly, wrapping her arms around her waist. The latter jumps dropping the carrot she was holding.

Violetta turns around, her face red as she stares into Yidhra's eyes. Her ivy green eyes meeting the obsidian orbs she fell in love with all those years ago. She huffs as the other omega leans to peck her cheek with an amused giggle.

"I've heard your trip didn't exactly go as planned?" Yidhra starts, taking a knife to cut some potatoes.

"Unfortunately so," Violetta sighs. "The pups have attracted some unwanted attention from those darn nobles." She drops the chopped up carrots into the boiling stew.

"Those bastards finally show their faces huh?"

"And they want them to be their mates."

Yidhra drops the potato onto the counter as her jaw drops. "What?"

"They want our pups as their mates, Yidhra, " her eyes start to water. "And we can't do anything but hide them like weaklings!"

Yidhra wraps her arms around Violetta's shaking shoulders. "Hey, hey. It's alright. We'll figure something out."

"We can't, Yidhra! They're going to burn the village."

Yidhra's blood runs cold.

"T-They're going to..." Violetta chokes as she grips Yidhra's shoulders, tears streaming down her cheeks. "They're going to burn the damn village! They're going to burn our home for some stupid railway! And we can't leave because Aesop's in his gosh darn heat. And I.." Yidhra quickly plants a gentle kiss on her lips, silencing her frantic mate.

"Come on, we've got to be strong. For them, for the pups. Whatever comes our way, we're going to face them as a family alright?"

Violetta clings onto her, burying her face in her black dress nodding.

All of a sudden, Eli bursts through the kitchen door panting heavily.

"They're coming! I-I saw them!"