Close Your Eyes, Mr. Player ~ Chapter 13

Chapter 13

~Jesse~

I walked into the cafe later that night, thankful that Damien had offered to drive me. He offered to keep me company too, but I didn't want to bother him. I stepped out of the frigid air into the warmth of the cafe and found my way to a booth in the back. The only reason I could find it so easily is because I'd been here so many times before. 

I remember each time like it was yesterday. The day my mom was brought to the hospital when I saw fourteen. The day my grandfather died. The day I got the bandages taken off my eyes. All those days, I'd come here, hoping that maybe their mocha latte's and blueberry muffins would make me feel slightly better.  Each time, nothing had happened. And today was just the same. 

I slipped into the booth and sat there, huddled against the seat. I wasn't alone for a minute before the waitress came. "Hello, how can I -" she broke off mid-sentence as if she'd just realized. "Oh, Jesse, hi."

I recognized that voice. My thoughts trailed towards Melody but I shook them quickly away and gave a friendly smile. "Sorry, I'd say I knew who you are, if I did," I admitted. 

She let out a tinkling laugh and it made me smile more. "I guess it doesn't surprise me that you don't know who I am. We don't talk much..." she trailed off, her voice suddenly changing from friendly to something a bit more sheltered. "Tara Donovan? Ring a bell?" she says, the friendliness back. And I did remember. 

I smiled again. "Of course. Hey Tara." I knew Tara from several parties and such. She was one of Zoe's friends, not that I ever paid her much attention, especially with my girlfriend always glued to my hip. I'm sure she was incredibly good looking for me to remember her right now, though I couldn't put a face on the name at the moment. I knew it'd come to me eventually. "Want to sit?" I asked, gesturing to the seat across from me. 

I heard her shuffling uncomfortably and I rolled my eyes. "Come on. If you get in trouble, I'll take the heat," I say with a grin. She sighs before sliding into the seat across from me. My latte was suddenly the last thing on my mind. "I never knew you worked here." 

She let out a sweet laugh. "No, I'm sure you didn't. No one does. I don't tell people I work now," she said. I could tell by the tone of her voice that this wasn't exactly one of her favourite subjects. I regretted when I asked her, "What do you mean now?" Stupid, stupid Jesse. Why do you never keep your mouth shut. 

She chuckled and I felt my shoulders recoil. "Um, my parents are kind of in and out of jobs, so I'm trying to help..." she said, her voice turning to a whisper as she trailed off. I felt bad for her and I wished I could reach out and grab her hand. It was when I heard her fingers tapping against the wooden table that I did. I took her smooth hand in mine and held it tightly.

"I know what it's like when stuff like that happens. It sucks," I said with a smirk, hoping to lighten the mood. She squeezed back before hesitantly removing her hand. "So about that latte," I said with another smirk.

I laughed as she quickly stood up from the table, nearly knocking over everything around her. "Oh, right! I'm sorry, what would you like?" she asked, sounding more embarrassed than anything I'd ever heard. I could imagine her blushing furiously. "Oh yeah. You just said a latte... I'm sorry. Is that all?" she asked, sounding even more embarrassed. It was so cute, I just had to laugh. "It's not funny," she said through clenched teeth.