Close Your Eyes, Mr. Player ~ Chapter 19

Hey guys! Before you read ahead, I just want to let you know that I'll either be doing the majority of the rest of the story in Melody's POV or all of it in her POV, just because it's easier, and I've planned out the rest of the story, and it works in her POV particularly :) 

Again, I apologize, I really am trying to make these as long as I can. 

Enjoy :) 

Chapter 19

~Melody~

This incessant, continuous beeping was what was keeping me awake. If people asked me why I didn't go home to sleep, I told them it was because I wasn't tired. When in all truth, I was afraid the sound of the beeping monitor would be stuck in my head, and I'd never get to sleep. So I stayed. I stayed in the room, holding his hand, crying, laying next to him and whispering soft things in his ear. 

When I went to school, I'd come straight here and tell him about my day, even though I knew there was no way he could hear me. He was out cold. He had been for almost two weeks. 

I was about to fall into another very quick sleep, when I heard a knock at the door. I peeked around the curtain to see Damien walking in, looking uncomfortably in the hospital atmosphere. I guess he didn't like remembering the times when his best friend was here after the accident. But now it was a whole new reason.

"You can come in you know," I said, my voice sounding odd in the silence of the hospital room. "I don't bite." I smiled at Damien, hoping he'd come over and sit in the chair next to me. 

Instead, he stepped around to the foot of Jesse's bed and just stared down at him. Watched him as if he was suddenly the most interesting and most fragile thing in the world. I felt that way sometimes when I watched him. His frame looked small and frail underneath the pale gowns. His lips were fading into a blueish hue, and his eyelids were tinted in the same colour. His skin was grayish and cold. It was almost like he was dead. Sometimes I thought that was the case, until I noticed his chest heaving, and I was fine again.

Damien watched him for another minute before turning to me. "Did they say how long?" he asked, obviously not wanting to say anything more. His voice sounded dry and weak, as if he'd been crying. His eyes were red and puffy and his posture was slightly hunched. Definitely crying. 

I shook my head. "No, they can't say. It's different all the time, of course. People could be asleep for days, hours, months. Some people have even been out for several years in the past." I squeezed Jesse's hand tighter and scooted closer to his bed. "Hopefully that's not the case here..." I mumbled, as I reached forward, pushing a stray lock of hair away from his forehead. 

 "I hope so too," Damien said. I looked up at him and smiled, as he walked over and fell down into the chair next to mine. We were silent for a few minutes, before he looked at me. "Did you actually have sex with Lucas?"

I felt unexpected tears spring to my eyes, and I forced them back. "Yes. Yes, I did."