••• 9 •••

WE RAN.

By God, we ran like never before.

It didn't take long before we heard shouts across the house. Luca's body had been found.

John and I stopped by the front door, but there was no key and it was locked.

"What the fuck do we do?" He whisper-shouted, his eyes wide with panic.

I looked around the hall, seeing no keys anywhere, so I reached into his coat pocket and pulled out his gun before shooting the lock.

"Lex-"

I grabbed his hand and we ran outside, speeding over to his car which was parked in the drive. The gun shot must have got the attention of the family as Miguel appeared, a crazed look on his face.

"He has a fucking rifle, John!" I all but screamed as John rapidly drove away, the tyres skidding as he turned out onto the road. We heard a few shots ring out before another car engine, which caused John to speed up.

We were silent as the car flew through the country road, Miguel's car in the distance behind us. Once we made it to the busier roads, we lost him, weaving in and out of different lanes. John drove for what felt like hours before we finally made our way to Watery Lane.

Once the car stopped, he turned to me, a blank look on his face. "Can you please explain to me what the fuck just happened?"

"I didn't mean to kill him," I said, my heart racing. "I just wanted to get him off me."

John's eyes narrowed, his body turning towards me. "What the fuck was he doing on you?"

"What the fuck do you think?" I asked, not wanting to revisit the events of the last few hours.

JOHN AND I stayed up all night in the kitchen, guns at the ready in case the Cruz family came to get revenge.

Tommy and Arthur entered the kitchen a few hours after sunrise, both of them confused to see us.

"What the fuck are you two doing up?" Arthur asked as he sat down at the table opposite us.

John and I shared a look, to which Tommy frowned.

"Did you go to see the Cruzs last night, Alexandra?" Tommy asked, placing an unlit cigarette in his mouth.

"Um... yes," I replied, my eyes on the tablecloth. "But it went bad."

"What?" Tommy's full attention was on me now, and I felt like I was being interrogated.

"I went with her, and Luca and I got into a fight," John began, making me frown slightly. "And I ended up killing the bastard."

Arthur stood up immediately at his brothers words and grabbed John by the collar, pushing him against the cupboards. "You fucking what?"

John just rolled his eyes, "I didn't mean to. It just got out of hand."

Tommy was seething, his fists clenched as he leaned them on the table. "I told you to go alone, Alexandra."

"I didn't think it would matter much." I said, feeling nauseous as I realised the entirety of my actions.

"Well it fucking did!" Tommy yelled, slamming his hands down on the table. "Do you two fucking realise what you've done?"

"It's not her fault, she told me not to come," John argued once Arthur had let him go.

"What's that?" Tommy asked, his tone suddenly changing. I followed his eyes to see him looking at the floor just in front of the door, where a small pale blue piece of paper sat.