••• 30 •••

GERALD WOULD warn me that vengeance was empty. That those who sought out revenge would be left unsatisfied, and come off just as bad as the ones who wronged them.

But I felt great.

Killing Julian lit a fire in me; a fire I thought had died a long time ago. I didn't even realise how dejected I had been feeling for the past few months until I was brought back to life. I had control again. I had power. I was untouchable. Tommy was right; there was a time when I'd stride down the streets demanding respect, and I'd get it. But somewhere along the line, things had changed. I grew weak, and docile. I let myself worry about whether or not a man would leave his wife for me. No more.

I wouldn't let myself be defined by the relationships I held with the men in my life. I wasn't Tommy's soldier. I wasn't Salvatore's daughter. And I sure as fuck wasn't John's mistress.

I was Alexandra.

TOMMY CALLED John and I for a meeting the morning after Julian's death. John wanted to meet me alone before we made our way there, but I refused. I didn't care if it hurt him, or if I was pushing him away. I didn't need him.

"I'm sure you two know exactly why you're here," Tommy said as the three of us stood in Charlie's yard. He threw away the half-smoked cigarette between his fingers before continuing. "Why the fuck is Julian Mitchell dead?"

"How do you know we did it?" I asked, my arms folded across my chest as I narrowed my eyes at him. "Could've been anyone."

Tommy let out a dry laugh and shook his head. "Finn may follow you around like a lost puppy, Alex, but I'm his brother. When I ask him a question, he tells me the truth. You two were in the Cut last night, and you didn't even bother hiding the fuckin' evidence."

I sighed, cursing Finn under my breath. John's fists were clenched and he was practically seething, shaking his head as he looked up to Tommy. "Do you fuckin' know what he did to her?"

"John," I warned him, my voice stern.

"They raped her, Tom-"

"John!"

"He held her down while they fuckin' ra-"

"Fucking shut up, John!" I yelled, grabbing his arm. I quickly dropped it again, unable to look at Tommy's face as I glanced to the side.

"Who?" Tommy asked, his tone grave.

I shook my head, "I don't know, Tom. I recognised Julian - but only him. He must have done it under Salvatore's orders."

A few intense moments of silence passed before I heard movement, and I looked up to see Tommy walking away.

I let out a long sigh, rubbing my temples. "For fuck's sake, John."

"What? He wanted to know why we killed him," John stated with a frown.

"It wasn't your place to tell him that," I said, furious at him.

His head moved up and he stared at the cloudless sky for a few moments before looking back down at me. "Lex, I'm gonna find the others. Everyone who was involved. And I'm gonna kill them, too."

"Fuck you, John," I fumed, pointing my finger at him. "This isn't your fight. Keep yourself out of it."

"They aren't gonna get away with it," He persisted, narrowing his eyes. "Not a single one of them."