••• 10 •••

AFTER AVOIDING John for a few days, I was sent to Derbyshire by Tommy where an old friend of his lived. I spent a week there, helping Harry Nettleship with some security issues he was having surrounding his farm. The fear of facing John caused me to extend my trip from a couple of days to almost eight.

Tommy didn't tell me how he knew Harry, just that he was an old friend. I assumed they met during the war, as I had never heard of the name Nettleship before.

Harry's farm was getting burgled almost monthly, and he reached out to Tommy to ask for financial help towards securing his land. I delivered the money and also helped him set up the fencing and locks, along with his sons.

I wasn't sure why Tommy sent me away, but I had learned the hard way not to ask questions when he gave me orders.

When I arrived back to Birmingham, something felt different. Perhaps it was because I hadn't seen John for almost two weeks, and I had no idea what terms our relationship was on.

"Ah, Alexandra. How was Derbyshire?" Polly asked once I entered the kitchen, an unusual blankness in her tone. She seemed almost angry at me.

"Yeah, it was good. Nice to take a break from Birmingham." I replied, eyeing her curiously as she read the newspaper. "Everything alright here?"

She nodded, "Just dandy."

I wanted to ask if she was angry, but I just assumed it was nothing to do with me and perhaps a personal problem she was having.

"Is Tommy about? Harry wanted me to give him a letter," I took my hat off, but I didn't sit down at the table as there was an awkwardness in the air.

"He left a few minutes ago. Don't know when he'll be back." Polly took a drag from her cigarette, looking at me as she blew the smoke out.

I frowned, "Pol, are you sure everything's-"

"Polly, are the bed sheets dry yet? Cara was about to-" Ada stopped as she saw me, her eyes wide. "Alexandra. I didn't know you'd be back so soon."

I raised an eyebrow, "I was only meant to be gone a couple of days. Here I was thinking I might be missed."

"No, of course." Ada said, nodding. "How was Derbyshire?" She sounded nervous, almost afraid.

"Who's Cara?" I asked, glancing between her and Polly.

Ada looked to Polly, biting her lip. Polly just shrugged before looking over to me, the cigarette held up to her lips. "She's John's wife."

I ALL but stormed through the streets, desperate to find any Shelby brother who I could speak to.

The idea of John getting married to someone else, mere days after proposing to me, was ludicrous. But Polly wasn't one to joke.

I all but kicked the doors of the Garrison open, causing a wave of silence to tide over the day drinkers. I strode over to the back room and saw Finn sitting there with Isaiah.

"Isaiah, may I speak to Finn alone?" I asked, and he nodded and promptly left.

"Alex," Finn said, slight shock in his tone. His facial expression mirrored Ada's when she saw me, confirming my worst nightmare.

"What the fuck happened while I was gone?" I asked, sitting down opposite him. I took the glass of whiskey he was sipping and downed the remaining half, slamming the glass back down. "And tell me the truth."

Finn swallowed hard, his Adam's apple bobbing. "Uh... how much do you know already?"

"Tell me, Finn." I said with a grave tone, my eyes locked on his.