••• 13 •••

"THAT'S NOT possible." I said, trying my best to making my anxiety less obvious. "I killed Salvatore Romero over a decade ago."

"Maybe it's a different Salvatore Romero," Arthur offered with a shrug, but his words did nothing to soothe me.

I shook my head, but didn't say anything more in case they realised that I was actually scared for once.

"He's coming tomorrow to discuss business." Tommy said, his eyes trained on me. "He has cocaine he wants us to sell."

My family had been making and selling cocaine since I was a young girl. "Then it's my cousin."

John frowned. "Your cousin?"

I nodded, "The name Salvatore passed through every generation's firstborn son, but my father only had me so his brother named his son with it instead. He must have taken over the business when my father died."

"Well, whoever he is, he's offering us a lot of money." Tommy said. "Will you be able to put your emotions aside and do the job?"

I scoffed, "Me? They'll probably try to kill me once they find out who I am."

"Then we make sure they don't find out," John said, a toothpick hanging between his lips.

"So I just change my name?" I asked incredulously. "And what if they recognise me?"

"You've grown a lot since you were eleven, Alex." Tommy said, earning a nod from John.

"Too bloody right." He mumbled, making Arthur elbow his ribs.

"Stay near the back," Tommy suggested. "Just to be safe."

I shrugged, "Fine."

ADA HUFFED, sitting at the kitchen table. "Last night was a huge failure."

Cara frowned from where she was stood, cooking lunch. "What happened?"

She had begun to grow on me, once I realized she hadn't a malicious bone in a her body. It still annoyed me how perfect she was, though.

"I was supposed to take Alexandra out for a night of dancing and romancing," Ada complained, taking a sip of tea. "But my brothers had to ruin everything with a stupid meeting."

I drummed my fingers on the table as I drowned out their conversation, becoming increasingly nervous about the day ahead. In just a few hours, the Peaky Blinders would be meeting with my blood relatives to strike a deal, and I didn't even know whether they'd remember me or not.

"Alexandra, did you hear me?" Ada said loudly.

I shook my head, blinking a few times as I was brought back to reality. "Huh?"

She rolled her eyes, "I said, we should go out tonight instead. Achieve what we should've last night."

"Oh, I can't." I said, putting on my hat and standing up. "There's an important meeting tonight that I can't miss."

"Seriously?" Ada asked with a scoff. "You really aren't a normal girl."

"You said it yourself," I said, smoothing down my coat.

"You're not leaving already, are you?" Cara asked, turning her back to the stove. "The food's almost ready; you should stay and eat."

I heard footsteps coming towards the kitchen and I knew it was John, and while I was happy for him and Cara I still found it difficult to be around them.

"I'm not hungry," I said before quickly leaving through the back door, rushing out onto the streets.