••• 21 •••

extra long and extra early update bc WTF 10K READS thank u all so so much <3

TW: sexual assault, gore

I THOUGHT of writing Tommy a letter to warn him about Salvatore's plans, but decided against it. He wouldn't have believed me, and the Peaky Blinders could fend for themselves. 

I spent the three days after Anselmo's death in my apartment, only leaving when I ran out of food or whiskey. I had also acquainted myself with cocaine that I had bought off of a man in the flat above me, and found that it did wonders for distracting me from the mental image of my dead mother that Salvatore had etched into my brain. I hallucinated a total of 8 times that John had walked in and fucked me, and I saw my mother sewing in the red armchair twice as many times. The man who sold me the cocaine, Peter Heston, was also a good fuck, and he didn't ask for anything more than sex and money from me which was all I needed. Whether he wanted more than that was another question that didn't need thinking about.

On Thursday morning, I went to the bakery at the end of my street to buy some fresh bread. When I returned home, I felt something had changed. Perhaps I was being over-paranoid because of the vast amount of snow I had sniffed over the past 48 hours, but I learnt early on in life that there was no such thing as being too careful.

Taking out my gun, I silently closed the door behind me and put the bread down on the table. I slowly stalked around the flat, cocking my gun and aiming whenever I turned a corner. When I was sure nobody else was there, I put the bread in the kitchen and placed my gun back in my holster. That's when I noticed it.

Laying on the table in the middle of the kitchen was a box. I was in half a mind to throw it out of the window in case there was a grenade inside, but the word 'Alex' was written on the top in Gerald's handwriting. If he had wanted to kill me, I would happily die, so I took the risk and pulled the box towards me. I opened it up and the first thing I noticed was the machine gun he had made. Frowning, I took it out and saw that there were also some rounds of ammunition in the box. Then something else caught my eye- a red-handled knife. The very one Tommy had given me, and the very one I had given back to him when he kicked me out of the Peaky Blinders.

Picking it up, I noticed a piece of parchment at the bottom of the box. I put down the knife, pulled out the paper and sat down at the table. As I unfolded it, some cash fell out. I scanned the paper and was surprised to see it was in Tommy's handwriting.

Buy yourself a pretty dress. All Peaky Blinders must be present. Tomorrow night, Salvatore Romero dies.

I was confused, my heart racing. I had spent the past few days thinking they had abandoned me, that John didn't care about me anymore, and that Gerald had turned his back on me. It was all an act to convince Salvatore that they had kicked me out.

I took a bite out of the bread before picking up the money and putting it into my coat pocket and heading out to the nearest dress shop. The whole time, I repeated the last line on the paper under my breath.

Tomorrow night, Salvatore Romero dies.

BY THURSDAY night, I had run out of whiskey and cocaine. I made my way to Peter's flat upstairs, wanting to be on top form for the party on Friday.

I knocked on his door and waited a few minutes before he opened it.

"Good evening, Alex," He said, smiling as he leaned against the door. "What can I do for you?"

"Some snow would be grand, Pete," I answered, taking out some cash.

He disappeared before coming back with a small vial, holding it out to me. "You don't need to pay me, Alex. It's on the house this time."