Chapter 22

.

.

.

Five hours later and Rose was lying in her hospital bed, surrounded by a team of different nurses and a midwife.

"She's ready to push, get in positions," the midwife called out.

There was an intense hustle going on as nurses threw themselves around getting buckets and towels.

Right beside her bed and in a chair was Keenan, who was leaning close to her, hand in hand with hers. He was keeping an eye on the whole commotion and even at some points displayed a face of stress. However, he didn't utter a single word to express it.

Shortly afterwards, the midwife slowly prompted Rose's legs upwards and placed a blanket over them while another nurse handed down the bucket of water.

"Okay, now on the count of three, we're going to try pushing," the midwife said calmly.

Rose furrowed her eyebrows anxoiusly but nodded her head in agreement.

Keenan squeezed her hand to give her a pump of comfort but Rose didn't even feel it; she was more focused on how much she thought she was going to hurt during this.

"Now, one..." the midwife started, "two...three— push!"

Rose unconsciously grabbed onto Keenans hand and gripped it tightly as she began to push for the first time.

It was like being constipated for having poop stuck inside for months and if she was being completely honest, she wasn't exactly thinking that it was a baby coming out of her at that point.

"That's it," the midwife encouraged, "keep going."

Rose huffed before trying to push once more, giving it all she could. She tensed all her muscles and put everything she had in her to push him out.

After several seconds, she groaned and fell back. Buckets of sweat was dripping down her forehead but Keenan was right beside her, wiping it away with a hand towel.

"You're doing great," he whispered, kissing her temple.

Rose glanced at him and took a deep breath.

'Why does he only cause me pain?' she sighed inwardly.

"Okay, let's go for another push," the midwife called out.

Rose bit her lip and tightly gripped onto Keenan's hand before groaning aloud, pushing as hard as she could.

While doing so, she felt quite frustrated and inwardly decided to take her anger out on Keenan's hand.

She thought that trying to make him feel at least a little bit of the hurt she was experiencing by clenching onto him with a bone-crushing grip would help her sanity.

However, as she was eyeing him for a split second to see if he was in pain, she was abruptly mistaken by his fazed face that she would have presumed to be of discomfort.

That was because when he did catch her looking at him, he mistakingly started to caress her hand with his thumb as if he thought she was trying to gain his comfort.

"This will be over soon," he said trying to motivate her innocently.

That obviously wasn't what she was looking for. Pissed off, she growled and tried clenching even more tightly onto his hand, not realising she was pushing in the process.

"That's it, keep going!" the midwife said.

Rose scrunched up her face, wondering how long this was going to take.