Chapter 42

.

.

.
As soon as they arrived back home, Rose immediately began to cook dinner for them.

She went straight to the kitchen where she chopped the parsley, sautéed the onions and crumbed the chicken.

In the midst of this, she ignored the presence of the other two who kept busy by looking around her house.

She then started to set out the dinner table, taking out a single plate before remembering her "guests" and taking out three.

"What are you cooking, mommy?" Finn asked while standing up on his tip toes next to her.

Rose glanced at him for a second before placing all the cutlery down alongside the plates.

"Something," she replied vaguely.

Finnigan was silent for the first few seconds.

"I like everything you make," Finnigan complimented with a bright smile.

Rose eyed him for a second and shook her head amused.

"Thank you, Finn," she said genuinely.

Finn beamed at his nickname before going back to whatever he was doing.

On the other hand, Rose resumed mixing everything together. Once she had all the food prepared, she quickly served up each plate. Finally, as she was washing all the utensils, she unconsciously called out to them.

"Dinner's ready," she said aloud.

The two quickly heard her, proceeded to walk over to the table and sat down silently.

"Looks yummy," Finn said, almost drooling.

Rose gave a small smile.

"It does look good," Keenan complimented. "Where did you learn to cook?"

Rose shrugged before urging them to eat.

The two quickly dived into the food while Rose watched intently.Somehow, she did feel a little self-conscious about their opinion.

She only ever cooked for herself and Ryan. At least for Ryan, he didn't care what the food tasted like. He had no sense of taste whatsoever. She couldn't say the same for Keenan and Finnigan though.

"This is the best dinner ever," Finn exclaimed with a mouthful of food.

Rose chuckled as she saw bits of food hanging around his mouth. Subconsciously, she slowly leaned in and wiped the crumbs off his face and smiled.

"It's not that good," she said humbly.

"He's right, this is really good," Keenan commented.

Rose stared at him conflicted but still nodded to acknowledge him nonetheless.

Fortunately, the rest of the dinner went along smoothly. Most of the time, Finnigan was the one talking about his school life while she and Keenan just listened.

Sometimes she would react and say something, which made Finnigan extremely happy, while Keenan would just look onward with a content look.

Oddly enough, she wasn't as uncomfortable as the last dinner. Maybe it was because this time, the atmosphere wasn't so tense. It could also be that she wasn't inside Keenan's house where bad memories gathered.

Or maybe she was just lonely.

Shaking the weird thoughts away, she quickly slipped back into reality where she was now in the laundry room finding some extra blankets.