Chapter 51 (Final)

.

.

.

Rose stared blankly at the white sheet covering Finnigan's body.

She could make out his small figure through the shadows, the silhouette of his outline.

Her mind was empty, null of any feeling. Her limbs felt numb, she couldn't even feel herself breathing. 

Or maybe that was a better option. If she too wasn't breathing, could she meet him on the other side?

"Come on," Keenan whispered, gently putting his arms around her shoulder.

Rose walked dazed as Keenan led her out of the room.

Images of Finnigan suddenly popped up in her mind and she felt herself choke.

She instantly fell to the ground, her limbs lying beside her. 

"No," she jerked, staring emotionless into the ground.

She suddenly began sobbing into the ground, her hands clenched beside her while her face was against the floor.

"No," she wept loudly.

She banged her fists against the cold tile, not feeling a thing. 

She kept hitting the ground, hitting it and hitting it until she saw blood draw from her knuckles.

Keenan instantly bent down next to her and grabbed her arms to stop her from punching the ground. 

He silently lifted her up and held her in his arms while hugging her closely.

"It's okay," he whispered, quietly rocking her. "You're okay."

She wailed into his chest, clenching tightly onto his shirt with hands that were on the verge of turning red. 

"He's gone," she screamed into his chest.

Keenan held onto her tightly like he was holding the pieces of a broken vase together, and then sealing it with a gentlw kiss on top of her head.

"Let's go take a seat somewhere," he mumbled into her hair.

He quietly led her towards the cafeteria where other patients and visitors were sitting, maybe waiting for their unlikely death too. If a hospital seemed gloomy before, it didn't compare to how it looked now.

The walls were painted like a dull sky and the windows were shut tight like a jail cell.

There, Keenan put her to a seat in the corner and went off to get her something to drink. All the while, she was shakily staring into her lap without a word.

It seemed like only yesterday that she and Finn were playing together in their house. He would smile at her every so often, even for the most simplest thing, and she would felt her heart lighten at every upturn he gave.

But now, now she won't be able to see that smile. She won't see the same bright boy that she used to wake up everyday. No more playing together, no more snack times together, and certainly not more fixing up his buttons.

The gloomy thought suddenly downed on her already heavy shoulder worth of grief, making her break down into a fit of shaky breaths and clenched hands.

As she frustatedly tried to wipe her eyes with the back of her hand, out of the corner of her eyes, she saw something glowing iridescently in the distance; a green glowing sign from the corner of the room.

In a heavy daze, she eyed it for a few hazy seconds and realised it was a sign that directed one to a flight of stairs.

'The roof?' she concluded blankly.