Chapter 45

.

.

.

Rose carried Finnigan back home the entire way back. She carried him even if he didn't want to, purely because it was what she wanted to do.

When they walked inside, she gently brought him over to the couch and put him down. She then kneeled in front of him and caressed his red cheeks.

Finnigan stared at her awkwardly.

Rose chuckled and kissed his forehead lightly.

"Finn, do you know why I'm not living with you and Keenan?" she asked softly.

He looked at her confused.

"Because you want to divorce," he said.

Rose smiled. She knew he was a smart boy for his age.

"That's right," she replied.

"Then when will you stop having a divorce?" he asked questionably.

'Maybe not that smart,' she chuckled inwardly. "I'm not sure," she answered honestly.

Finnigan frowned.

"Is it my fault?" he asked worried.

Rose quickly pinched Finn's cheek and reassured him.

"No, it's not your fault," she assured.

"Then is it dad's fault?" he asked.

Rose paused, "Maybe."

Finn pouted, "If dad says sorry will the divorce stop?"

He looked up to her innocently as if he asked a very simple question. Unfortunately, it wasn't as easy as he made it seem.

Rose wished that an apology was all it took. However, an apology wasn't enough to heal deep scars.

"Sometimes an apology isn't good enough," she said with a distant smile.

Finnigan stayed silent after that, like he was trying to take in her words.

She felt bad since he was always in the middle between their fights, so she promptly took this time and kissed his forehead adoringly.

Even if she and Keenan weren't on good terms, it didn't meant that she and Finnigan weren't on good terms.

"Now, go take a bath and I'll come play with you afterwards," she said.

Finnigan nodded slowly before walking off towards the bathroom.

As she slowly got up, she sighed tiredly and sat on the chair with a slump. Was she allowed to have such an understanding son?
.

.

.

Keenan had overheard Rose's conversation with Finnigan

"Sometimes an apology isn't good enough," she muttered with a smile.

He sighed under his breath while leaning against the back of the wall. As he peeked inside the living room, he saw Rose sitting there with a dazed look.

He then saw Finnigan running off towards the bathroom and thought it'd be best to talk to her during a time when they were alone. If anything, this was his last chance to convince her to come back to him

It was his last night here with Finnigan. He knew he couldn't extend it because Rose simply wouldn't allow it.

Taking in a deep breath, he thought he would just take the opportunity and start persuading. He finally stood up from the wall and slowly made his way towards the living area where she sat.