Chapter 33

.

.

.

Inside her drifting mind, Rose became increasingly aware of a thumping noise. It got louder and louder, like it was chasing her from behind.

Frightened, she shut her eyes and didn't dare turn around as it seemed to get closer and closer.

Out of fright, she woke up in a frenzy with her chest heaving and heart beating rapidly against her chest.

She panted lightly while laying back down, gripping the sheets. Her hand came up to her forehead and covered her eyes in an effort to calm herself.

Just when she thought she could go back to sleep, a loud bang abruptly interrupted her peaceful surroundings.

Whipping her head toward the door, she realised the resemblance of the loud banging to that of a door being thumped.

Only then did she realise that the loud noise was now obviously not just from her dream; it was real, and it coming from downstairs.

She crossed her eyebrows and gritted her teeth in annoyance. Taking her pillow, she wrapped it around her ears, trying to muffle out the sound, but to no avail.

"What the hell?" she groaned.

She grumbled while sitting up from the bed and as she tossed her pillow back, she heard a rustle in the sheets next to her.

"What's wrong?" Keenan groggily murmured with half-lidded eyes.

"Don't you hear that noise?" she asked.

"I do, but I'd rather just sleep here with you," he sighed, pulling his arms around her torso.

Rose smiled sleepily but couldn't focus when the banging noise seemed to just get louder.

She was about to get up again, thinking it would just be best to see what it was, but Keenan's arms held her down around her waist.

"Leave it be, it's probably the delivery guys," he whispered tiredly into her thigh. "They'll go away soon."

Rose made an unsure frown but still inwardly hoped that he was right and that the noise would go away soon.

However, after a few minutes, she was dead wrong.

The annoyance seemed to only get infinitely louder, which only pushed her finite patience. And boy, was it getting thinner by the millisecond.

Groaning aloud, she reluctantly pushed herself out of the bed and quickly walked downstairs, over to the camera feed in the kitchen where it showed the surveillance camera of the front door.

"Rose! I know you're in there! I need to talk to you," Ryan yelled through the door.

She furrowed her eyebrows and leant in to the video feed. At first she couldn't believe who she was seeing, so she brought herself closer and pressed the speaker button.

"Ryan?" she asked confused. "Ryan, why are you here so early in the morning?" she asked through the monitor.

She watched as he jumped and glanced around before looking directly into the camera.

"Can you open the door?" he asked.

Rose sighed.

"Fine," she replied, walking over to the front.

As she got closer, she saw his hazy outline behind the glass window and promptly opened the large door. There, she found Ryan standing looking frazzled.