Chapter Three

Gary / August 11th

For someone like Gary, who wanted to become a professor, Kalos was definitely a unique region. He had done his best to look into Mega Evolution, but there wasn't much surrounding the topic. While Ash had gone out yesterday, he had even tried to go out and find any trainers who used the power, but he couldn't find any, not even Jason.

It was strange because he had only recently found out he was going to be going to Kalos alongside Ash of all people. Even stranger: living with them. Though, it hadn't been bad so far. But if there was one thing Gary had noticed, it was Ash's strange behavior ever since they had moved here. More specifically, surrounding that cute girl that lived across the street, who he had supposedly met at a young age.

And it wasn't just him either. Gary was an expert on these things, and he could see the way that Serena looked at Ash. He would bet his Blastoise that she had a crush on him just based on that. Not to mention the nervous manner she spoke in towards him, and the way she played with her hair or fidgeted with her hands. If there was one thing Gary had in mind, it was getting to the bottom of this.

Those are the events that led up to August 11th, one in the afternoon. Ash, Serena, and Gary were walking the streets of Lumiose City after a nice lunch. Both Ash and Gary agreed that the food here in Kalos was amazing. And apparently, their school was suppose to begin the next day - August 12th, Monday.

Even though Gary had assembled this trip to study Ash and Serena's relationship, he found himself more on the lookout for Mega Evolution-wielding trainers while the two talked in the background.

"So Ash, have you entered into a league before?" Serena asked

"I've entered into five of them, one for each region I travelled, but I haven't won yet" Ash answered. "Doesn't mean I'm going to give up though"

"The Kalos League is suppose to be one of the hardest leagues in the world, but with some training, I think you have a shot" Serena said

Gary spotted an Ampharos battling a Jolteon on a battlefield out to their left. They exchanged electric-type attacks, neither being able to gain an edge on the other.

"Remember Calem? He's already beaten all eight gyms already. I got to see him do it, so I could show you where the gyms if you want me to" Serena offered

"That would be great, thanks Serena" Ash replied

Over on the right, a Rhyperior was battling a Dragonite, who despite being able to fight, was having a hard time against the powerful ground-and-rock type.

"Santalune City, huh? I guess I could try going next weekend" Ash figured

"I heard it's where most people in Kalos go for their first gym battle" Serena said

Up ahead, a Pinsir was battling a Pokemon that Gary had never seen before. It looked like a fox and stood on two legs, holding a tree branch that was on fire.

"I think you should have plenty of time to travel the region over the weekends and breaks" Serena nodded her head

"That's great. I can't wait to see what the rest of Kalos is like" Ash said

They passed by another battlefield where an Empoleon was battling a black Charizard that flew around in the sky, dodging water-type attacks and unleashing powerful fire-type ones. Gary had to a double-take when he realized he had found what he was looking for. He paused and gripped Ash's shoulder.