Chapter Eight

Serena / August 12th, 7:00 PM

It's safe to say that without Serena, Ash and Gary might have been totally screwed. The idea of school was just such a foreign idea to the two, that when it came time to do the project, they realized that they didn't really know what to do.

"We could just do an old-fashioned poster" Serena said

"As a professor, I've got a good idea" Gary announced. "We can use the project to prove that Pokemon with a stronger bond with their trainer, preform better in battle"

"That's a good idea" Serena agreed

"I can't believe Gary was the one to come up with it" Ash joked

"Hey!" Gary protested. "I'll have you know that being dumb is just an act to attract the girls"

"As a girl, I don't think it works" Serena replied and both Ash and Pikachu laughed

"You know its funny when the Pokemon is laughing too" Gary muttered miserably

The group got to work on their project, using mostly the relationship between Ash and Pikachu as the basis. Within about an hour, they had assembled a nice an organized poster - thanks to Serena, who turned out to be a pretty big clean-freak - and the group was left with some extra time on their hands.

"You know, I'm still trying to Mega Evolve my Blastoise," Gary said, "but every time there's a tournament, I never happen to be around"

"Maybe it's a sign" Serena shrugged. "When I went with Calem to the gym in Shalour City, the gym leader Mega Evolved their Lucario, but something went wrong and it went on a rampage"

"And what happened after that?" Ash asked

"Calem had to bring out one of his Pokemon and take it out before it caused any harm. We had to return the next week, and when we did, Calem was able to win" Serena explained

"You said Calem already beat every gym, right?" Gary said. "I thought Ash was able to beat him in a battle though"

"Well..." Serena hesitated, looking back and forth between the two. "That was one of his weaker Pokemon, sorry Ash"

"I could tell based off of his battle earlier, though I wonder why he held back" Ash said

"I'm not sure either, but if I had to guess, I'd say he was testing you" Serena replied

"Next time I get the chance then, I want to battle him for real" Ash wished

August 13th / School