Extract for 'For A Life In Prison'

He did.

--------

The Captain was the first to wake up. His eyes straight away went to the centre of the explosion.

His eyes fell on the fallen shape of Barry. Barry's arms were twitching, little bolts dancing up and down as more and more energy wanted to escape.

Nonetheless, with all the carnage and destruction, it was almost peaceful and tranquil. The only noise was the ringing in his ears.

Out of the corners of his eyes, he saw others start to wake, what looked like groans leaving their mouths as they clutched at their heads and their ears.

By the time that most people had woken up, the ringing was mostly gone.

Even with all this, he still heard no noise.

He could not believe it.

They had to be lying.

That could not have been his little brother. He would make sure that the lie came out.

That lost little boy who wormed himself into his heart at the tender age of four then cemented himself as his family at eleven. That boy would not, could not, cause all this.

The little boy may have just been killed. Shocked to death by their badge brothers from another country.

He felt tears drop from his eyes. His little brother was gone... And he only stood and watched.

218