Two

It was nearly two days after the shooting before Olivia woke up. She opened her eyes slowly before looking around the room. She didn't know exactly where she was, but eventually, she started to remember things. How Chris forced himself onto her again and started to beat her after she told him to stop. She could remember when she was in control, and when she lost it again.

As it flooded back, Olivia's mind turned dark as she thought about what she could have done differently. Other options that would have led to her having a breathing husband, instead of a dead one.

She started to sob, but Elliot was right there to calm her. He had been by her side for the two days she had been out, and he didn't even leave to eat or sleep. He would only run to the bathroom and run back as quickly as he could so that she was rarely alone.

"Hey, Liv... it's okay honey. I'm here. You are good." Elliot cooed, as he quickly climbed off the cot he had been sleeping on and he ran to her side. He grabbed her shoulders and shook her gently until she looked at him.

"Elliot?" Olivia sobbed.

"Yeah, it's me. I'm here. You are safe, sweetie." Elliot smiled before drawing her close. He held Olivia as she clung to him as her body shook.

"I killed my husband!" She screamed.

"Olivia, he was going to kill you! He was going to kill you and then blame it all on you. Those girls would be brainwashed by him to hate you. You did nothing wrong. You just stood up for yourself, and you took your life into your own hands." Elliot spoke as calmly as possible.

"I loved him!" Olivia sobbed.

"I know you did, Liv. I know. But he was a bad man. He gave you two beautiful girls, but other than that he was useless. He just used you." Elliot spoke, as Olivia pushed him away. Olivia swallowed hard as she tried to even out her breathing. All she wanted was to go back. To not pull the trigger. She felt so bad about everything.

"I'm a monster." She whimpered.

"No, you aren't. He was. Baby, what happened isn't your fault and never will be. So why don't you lay back down and I'll sit here while you sleep." Elliot spoke. He felt his mouth go dry as he realized he called Olivia 'Baby', but he pushed that aside because she was reaching her arms out to him.

"Sit with me, please... I'm scared."

"Anything for you." Elliot croaked out, before moving onto the bed. Olivia snuggled into his side as she sniffled several times.

"I'm a horrible person." She whimpered, but Elliot didn't speak again. He just held her and thought about how this was going to be the hardest thing that Olivia has ever gone through.

|+|

Olivia slept a lot after the shooting, and eventually, Elliot had to pull himself from her bedside. He went out into the hall to walk around a bit, and he was joined by Cragen.

"Any news?" Elliot questioned, and Cragen sighed softly.

"Tucker is involved. Everyone is worried that letting Olivia off will cause problems, but I'm going in front of my bosses to talk about my thoughts about this case. And how it was self-defense." Cragen spoke.

"What about Michaela and Julia?" Elliot asked.

"I went and saw them today. They said that their father was being incredibly mean to Olivia. They also told me about the house rules."

"Well, house rules need to be a thing," Elliot spoke.

"Are your children not allowed in the living room?" Cragen spoke, and Elliot turned to look at Cragen with wide eyes.

"What?"

"And the girls talked about how they had the exact same thing for dinner since they could remember. Julia talked about how she and Michaela had to stay in their rooms when her parents' started to fight because otherwise Chris might try and hurt them." Cragen spoke. Elliot had to stop and sit down because everything was hitting him hard.

His best friend had been getting beaten up for so many years, and he didn't notice. He just didn't pay any attention to the ways she changed. But now as he is sitting and thinking about everything, he realizes that Olivia got quiet. And that she wore turtle necks, long sleeve shirts, and she always wore her hair down. She had been hiding it from him and everyone else for years, even when she should have just told everyone. She should have reached out for help, but she didn't want to feel weak or less of person once she was labeled a victim.

"How did I not notice?" Elliot whimpered.

"Stabler, none of us did. But I think it's time for you to go home. See your nieces. I'll stay here tonight and Fin will sit with her in the morning."

"I'm not leaving her side!" Elliot exclaimed.

"Your wife and children want you, and I'm sure that Michaela and Julia want to have someone they truly trust around right now."

"Captain-"

"It's an order. You need to sleep and to shower. Trust me." Cragen spoke. Elliot bit his lip before looking down the hall.

"I need to say goodbye to her real quick," Elliot spoke.

"Make it quick and then go home."

|+|

Elliot walked into his house and it was louder than usual, but he knew it was because there were seven kids under his roof instead of just the usual five.

"Kath?" Elliot called, as he shed his jacket before hanging it up.

"Hey, stranger. How is she doing?" Kathy questioned, as she moved to her husband. She leaned close and kissed him before listening to his response.

"She's broken, Kath... she hates herself for pulling the trigger... but she had no other choice. She was almost killed by that asshole." Elliot frowned.

"I hate that this happened to her of all people... the girls are playing with Eli upstairs. But I'm sure they would stop to see you." Kathy spoke. Elliot nodded before drawing his wife into a hug. He gave her a tight squeeze.

"I'll never hurt you, Kathy. I swear." Elliot breathed, as he caressed her blonde locks.

"I know you won't. Now, go see the girls... I love you, baby."

"I love you too."

Hey guys! Thanks for reading and please vote and comment all of your feedback below! :D