Chapter 39

~History's Twists~

Afterward, all the food served to Oris was tested with a silver needle beforehand. All the earthenware that tested positive for toxins were also left aside. Andrea's tea remained in the poisoned teacup, swirling lazy and darkening in color as Mayree glared at it

"We have to find out who lived here before we did," Oris said after swallowing a mouthful of dumpling. "When are Seline and Keziah returning?"

"By moonrise, they should be able to get here," Mayree said, her gaze flicking from the tea to her mistress and back.

"So long," Oris mumbled and reached for another cake.

Andrea stared helplessly as the tall stack of pastries was steadily depleted by her mistress' ravenous hunger.

"They should bring me more food as punishment for staying so late."

Mayree nodded at that, a soft smile on her lips. "I will relay your message if I see them."

"You are going somewhere?" Oris asked, half a dumpling stuck in her mouth.

"I have to get medicine for your wound and fever."

"You have money?"

"Some."

"You shouldn't waste it on such trivial things then. My wound will heal and my fever will break." Oris patted the spot next to her. "Have a cake and sit down. You too, Andrea."

"You treat yourself so poorly," Mayree said but did as she was told.

Andrea followed suit, clutching a dumpling close to her chest as though someone was about to steal it.

"Someone wants me dead. Well, someone new wants me dead. If an assassin sneaks in will Andrea be enough to fend him off?"

"Assassin?" Andrea squeaked and grabbed her mistress' arm. "What assassin?"

Oris grinned and winked at Mayree. "See, I do care for my health."

Mayree pulled the plate of dumplings and cakes away from Oris' reach, her expression stern. "Don't eat too many sweets."

A thoughtful expression crossed Oris' features. She placed her hand on top of her belly. "I want noodles then."

"I'll see what I can do, Mist-"

Oris slapped the maid lightly on the shoulder. "I've told you to call me Big Sister."

"I might get used to it."

"Is that a bad thing?"

Andrea pursed her lips and held her dumpling with both hands. "I'm the youngest and all my sisters are much older than me. They never played with me, so-"

"Andrea!" Mayree shot the girl a scathing look. "Hold your tongue."

Oris pulled Andrea to her chest. "Quit being an anchor in a pond, Mayree. You don't want to call me Sis, don't force your ideals on poor children."

Mayree sighed. "You spoil her too much."

"She brought me food unlike you lot that planned on starving me."

"Mistress."

"Enough, enough," Oris waved her hand and released Andrea. "Let us talk. This might be the only free time we have till tomorrow."

"What do you want to talk about?" Andrea peered up at her through her thick lashes, curiosity shining through her eyes.

"The palace. Etiquette. Whoever might benefit from my death. Normal things."