Chapter 42

~Tablets~

"Where are we on the issue of the dam?" Hermes announced the moment he stepped into the Great Hall. Mikeal tottered behind him, still disguised as a servant, eliciting strange glances from those who thought they recognized him.

"Everything is settled except who to send," Magnus answered.

The advisor stood on the right side of the throne an expression of displeasure propped on his sharp features.

"We have no able hands?" Hermes asked as he took his place beside the man.

"I am afraid no one is willing to see their son suffer in the humid rainforests, Your Majesty."

"Is that so?"

A minister stepped forward and bowed with his hands clasped in front of him. "I, your servant, am willing to let my son oversee this project in order to secure the people's safety."

He rose and shifted back into his position. The row of ministers behind him began to fidget and murmur until another official stepped out.

"It would honor my family if any of my sons could bears some of your burdens, Your Majesty," he said.

Following the first two's example, the rest of the ministers stepped forward to offer their sons to the noble cause. The few that didn't must have loved their sons too much to part with them.

Hermes inclined his head to look at his advisor. "And you said they weren't willing."

"I apologize. I was mistaken."

"No need. Even great minds make mistakes," Hermes said, just to get on the man's nerves. "Now, who shall we send to the build the world's mightiest dam?"

"I will leave the judgment in your hands," Magnus said with a shallow bow. The smile on his lips spoke of future evils to come. The consequence of crossing such a serpentine fellow.

Hermes ignored the warning. It was not the first time he would scratch at Magnus' reverse scales and it would not be the last. Most times his antics nearly cost him his life-he had the scars to prove it-but he had come out better for it. Besides, life was too boring when all the rules were followed.

"Why don't you all compete for it?" he asked, while watching the changing expressions of his subjects. "Since it is such an honor, only the best man deserves it. Don't you all agree?"

"Your Majesty, I have already prepared a missive detailing why-" a minister began to speak.

Hermes pretended not to hear him as did over half of the court. Mikeal almost felt sorry for the poor official who looked so lost as he slipped his memorial back into his sleeves.

"If my memory serves me right, hunting is in the itinerary for the selection?" the emperor asked without really asking. "The competition for the rainforest project will be a hunt. It has been long since we have had one of those."

"But Your Majesty, we have no hunting grounds in the palace," a minister said.

"It would require days of travel to reach suitable terrain."

"Which is why I am informing you now, in advance," Hermes said, drumming his fingers along the grooves carved into the armrests of his chair. "Any objections? None? Let us move to next discussion of the day."

"Peasants in the east are rioting over tax raises and are leaving their farmland unattended to causing..."

Hermes' thoughts couldn't help but roam on hearing those words. The rest of the court discussions would be filled nothing but rehashing yesterday's problems without giving a clear solution. Listening was a waste of energy and giving a reply had no point but he had learnt to look as though he was paying attention.