Chapter 51

~Till It Happens~

When Hermes stepped out of his mother's chambers, a troubled look crossed his features but he didn't let a frown touch his lips. He knew that he was being watched. If anyone reported to his mother that he was looking too displeased, she might take actions rashly and that was the last thing he wanted.

His plan needed to be infallible and to ensure that, he had a part to play. For now, he needed to trust his mother like he always had.

Several thoughts had crossed his mind in the short space of time he had spent talking to her. And even now, he was still thinking.

If his mother was innocent, then all would be well, but if she wasn't. . .

Just as he was processing how he would feel if it turned out that his mother had lied to him from the very beginning, he was grabbed by the arm and slammed against the nearest wall.

He had not seen it coming.

It was only when pain spread through his back, along his spine, that he reacted. A small knife slipped out of his sleeve.

"What did you do?" Magnus hissed into Hermes' ear, not a bit of care in his actions. He did not mind the blade the emperor already had to his neck or the wide-eyed gazes of the servants and maids around them.

He pulled back slightly to pass his eyes over them and they all fell to their knees and pressed their foreheads to the ground.

"Forgive us, Your Majesty," they cried while trembling, awaiting judgement.

Gazing unabashedly at the Emperor's  visage was a crime that no servant would ever want to bear but not only had this group done so, they had also forgotten to bow on seeing Hermes. Experienced servants knew better. Even if the world was falling in front of them, they would never think to raise their gazes.

"They have been replaced," Magnus said, his voice quiet and mellow. "I am sure you know what that means?"

The answer to the question was an easy one. Hermes narrowed his eyes at his advisor but didn't lower the knife. Any wrong movements from either of them and he would have the man's blood on his hands. "My mother's people are no longer around her. . . This is your doing."

"You and I have worked hard to limit her authority," Magnus whispered harshly, his previous anger resurrected. "Do not let your emotions ruin all of our hard work. If she thinks you are against her, she will be more cautious. She will make less mistakes and it will be much harder to control her. So whatever it is that made you storm in here, forget it."

"Mikeal sent you here."

"He had a good reason to."

"He didn't tell you what happened," Hermes carefully pulled the knife away from Magnus' neck then let his arm fall to his side. He stared at the angry red line that had appeared on the man's pale skin. "I could have killed you."

"Have more faith in yourself, Your Majesty," Magnus let go of Hermes' arm and trailed a finger along his neck. There was only pain, no blood. "You have more control than you give yourself credit for."

"My mother, she—"

"Whatever it is, this is not the place. You have threatened her directly so she will make a move." Magnus eyed the prostrating help. It was best they stayed that way for as long as possible. "We shouldn't be here when that happens."

"Alright," Hermes let his advisor drag him away. "Where is Eugene?"

"Getting reenforcements," Mikeal answered, pushing the emperor behind a pillar when a group of maids made their way down the hall. The two men turned right and started along the path to Hermes' bedroom. "Something big is happening tonight, I asked Meéarine to read the closest future. She said that the gods obscured her vision during the reading. All she knows is that tonight there will be a bloodbath."