Chapter 46

~Privilege~

Instead of walking out of the room, Hermes suddenly turned around when he and Mikeal reached the doors leading into the corridor.

Mikeal jumped back just in time to avoid colliding with the emperor. "Your Majesty?"

"I won't go to morning court today," he said with a frown and walked back to the bed. "Announce that I am sick."

"The ministers have been waiting for you," Mikeal followed close behind him, his hands gripped in front of his chest and his head bowed low. "And the maids already saw you, I am afraid the excuse will not hold sand."

"Can subjects comprehend the sickness of an emperor?" Hermes glanced at Mikeal with the side of his eye.

Mikeal raised his clasped hands above his head and bowed even lower. "Your Majesty is wise beyond your years. Your words will be recorded in the annals of history and forever preserved."

When he straightened up again, the subservient expression on his face was gone. "If you aren't playing emperor today, you won't need a personal servant."

"I'm not playing, I am the Emperor."

"Emperors go to court. Why aren't you?"

"Mother," Hermes sighed and flicked his braids back over his shoulder. "Since she is up to something. I cannot ignore it."

"Isn't that what you usually do?"

"This time is different."

"Because of the nun?"

"Because she closed the gates and undermined my authority in the process," Hermes said. "The ministers will want an explanation, one that I do not yet have."

"But you already knew that when we were about to leave," Mikeal laughed, amused. "Or. . . Did you experience a sudden ascent in understanding?"

"Her supporters will pull something soon, I'm simply buying myself time to think."

"You still think someone wants you off the throne," Mikeal shook his head, not convinced. "It has been years, Hermes. The court has stabilized."

"The court has not stabilized, Mikeal," Hermes placed his hand on his friend's shoulder. "If it had I wouldn't need to marry to solidify my control over the vassal states. You said so yourself."

"Alright, I might have lied," Mikeal admitted with a sigh then tilted his head in the direction of the balcony as his hair caught in the wind. "You took their land, of course they won't serve you happily."

"Hence the reason why I am bending over backwards to please the officials who represent the people," Hermes clapped his hands together. "I and mother had fought against this for so long to ensure that my power would not be restricted by cunning ministers but in the end it is still the best avenue to consolidate my power."

"You could have just killed all those loyalists and appointed your men ministers instead," Mikeal pointed out. "I wouldn't have minded a title and you would have had peace of mind for the rest of your life."

"Yes," Hermes agreed. "But what of the people? They trust neither you nor me nor Magnus."

"Trust can be built over time."

"There is no time with new mutinies erupting by the day," Hermes clasped his hands behind his back and walked to the balcony. "If a handful of weddings can get a majority of the ministers on my side and placate the people, the sacrifice is nothing."

"Except," Mikeal blocked Hermes' path. "It is not simply a handful of weddings. What you have here is a hundred and twenty five women competing for your love in hopes of being Empress."