Chapter Four: The Fair

this chapter is for oliviviaaa
          What the hell was I thinking! The next morning was my day off and I kept replaying last night in my head. I should have kept my mouth shut and I definitely shouldn't of kiss Adam! This was a slippery slope and I do not plan on falling. I sighed and looked at the note I found last night.
            Last night after I came back inside I found a note where Adam had been sitting. It was a phone number with his name at the bottom. I typed a number into my phone, but my finger hovers over the 'call' button. "What am I doing?" I said I put my phone down. I got up from my bed and told myself today was going to be an Adam-free day. I get dressed and call Scarlett.
"Hello," she said when he picked up.
"Do you want to do something with me today?" I questioned her.
"That depends. What are we doing?"
"Well, there's a fair on the outskirts of town," I tell her.
"Hmm..." Was her answer.
"Hmm?" I questioned.
"I'm still not convinced," she said is I laughed.
"Okay I'll make you a deal: if you come with me I'll get you can candy," I offered.
"You drive a hard bargain, but sure why not."
"I'll come pick you up in an hour okay," I said.
"Got it,"she said before hanging up.
          I watch the news for the next half hour before driving this car this apartment. When I get there it take Scarlet 5 minutes to answer the door.
"Scarlett come on!" I yelled from the hallway.
"I'm coming, I'm coming," she yelled back. When she opens the door she's wearing a black shirt tucked into a denim skirt with matching black sandals.
"Finally," I said, exasperated.
"What? This takes time," she said gesturing to herself.
"You are such a dork," I said in return.
"Whatever let's go," she said with a laugh. When we get in the car Scarlett ask me a question.
"Since when do you go to fairs?"
"Since I need a distraction," I answered.
"A distraction from what?" She asked.
"Life."
"well I'm always happy to go on an adventure with you especially if it involves cotton candy."
"Ah, so that's why you hang out with me," I commented.
"You caught me," she said with a laugh, "can we make a slight detour?"
"Sure, just tell me where to go," I said.

~~~~~***~~~~~

"Thanks for picking me up guys," Ryan said he's got into my car.
"No problem," me and Scarlett said in unison.
"Now off to the fair," said Scarlett, excitedly.
          He spent the entire drive to the fair telling jokes and listening to music. show me when we finally reached our destination we decide to go on the ferris wheel first. "So how did you find this place?" Asked Ryan.
"Well, I wanted a distraction for the day and just looked up some fun things to do and this is what popped up," I answered.
"Why did you need a distraction? He said he found this place looking for a distraction, so why did you need one?" questioned Scarlett.
          "Well, I... Uh had a bad night and wanted to have some fun with you," I said as we got on the ride. It's seat only held two people so Ryan sat with Scarlett and I sat alone. I don't mind sitting alone I enjoy the kids to think. as the ride starts going I can hear the scarlet and rain in front of me talking about random things.
         I mind slowly starts to drift to thoughts of Max ,but I quickly shake my head to snap out of it. I start singing under my breath so that I have something to distract me.
"That night I saw through all the magic..." I sung. The ferris wheel went around a couple of times before we disembarked. Me, Scarlett, and Ryan met up after the ride and dhe looked at me skeptically. "You're biting your lip which means you're nervous, so why are you nervous," she asked.
"Can we just enjoy the day?" I asked.
"Fine, only because I don't want to argue," she replied with a half smile.
"You still owe me that cotton candy," she reminds me.
"Alright a deal's a deal," I shoot back.
          I woke up to a booth and get me, Scarlett, and Ryan some cotton candy. we walk around the park for a couple more hours, or so before the sun starts to set. "Thanks for inviting me," Scarlett says we climb into my car.
"Me too," Ryan says, "even though I wasn't technically invited."
"I still don't believe your vague explanation,"
"Well whether you believe me or not, that's the best answer you're getting," I said with finality.
"Regardless of your reasons, I had fun today," she said.

~~~~~***~~~~~

          Scarlett asked to be dropped off with Ryan at his house and after I did that I drove home and collapsed on to my bed, exhausted. Before I could fall asleep, though, my phone rang. I almost dropped my phone when I saw the color ID.
It was Adam.
I waited three rings before answering "H-hello," I said cautiously.
"Hi Rose, it's Adam, I uh... I thought you would have called me by now."
"Oh, I was going to, but actually went out with some friends," I said cooly.
"Where did you go?" He asked.
"The fair," was all I said. I new it was cryptic, but I didn't care. right now I wanted to go to sleep and have everything be normal again, but I can't.
"Who did you go with?" He asked.
"Just some friends," I responded. Did he sound jealous?
"What are your friends names?" He presses.
"Why did you call, Adam?" I said bluntly.
The line went silent and I could tell it hurt him, but right now the rational part my brain that knew this relationship was wrong, that knew we can never be together was taking over.
"I work in the morning. Bye," I said as I hung up the phone, my good mood gone. I changed into some pajama shorts and a soft, black shirt and drifted into a dreamless sleep.

Scarlett's point of view
"Bye!" I called to Rose if she dropped me off at Ryan's house.
           "Bye Scarlett, don't do anything I wouldn't do," she said as she drove away. I laughed to myself she can be so embarrassing sometimes but I love her. A father Ryan into his house, looking around.
"Your house is so amazing," I said, looking around.
Ryan chuckled, "Thanks. Do you want something to drink?"
"Sure, some water would be great," I reply.
Ryan goes into the kitchen to make us some drinks while I sit on the couch. I look at a photo on the table in front of me. it depicts a young Ryan holding up a trophy that says "spelling bee" on it.
"I was so proud when I won that," Ryan says, sitting down next to me. He hands me my drink. I look up at him smiling when I realize that are faces are only inches apart.
"Ryan..." I say trailing off.
He leans forward and captures my lips in a kiss. And, of course, I do something I've wanted to do for over a year.
I kiss him back.

Hello dear readers!!! I hope you loved this week's chapter. It was so much fun writing Scarlett's part. Can you believe they kissed? Finally! Adam will be coming back next chapter so don't worry about him. And Rose may be figure out some more secrets of his. But we won't find out till next week!! See you later!