Chapter 9

[Marinette]

We are having breakfast when I receive a message from Luka: <<Good morning, Marinette. I thought maybe you'd like to meet today. Call me, okay?>>.

—Excuse me for a moment.— I get up from my seat and walk away from the table to call Luka.

He catches me shortly:
—Hello, Mari.— your voice is lively and cheerful.
—How are you, Luka? I read your message.
—Better now that you've called.— I get a little red for his comment. Sometimes Luka can be very direct. —The truth is, I was hoping to see you soon. Do you have anything to do?
—The truth is that I had plans with Alya, Nino and Adrien...
—I don't want to disturb you, Mari. We'll meet another day.
—You don't bother, really. We can meet this week if you like.
—Whenever you want. I'll wait for you.
I hang up and go back to the table.
—Something wrong?— asks Adrien.
—Luka. I told him we'd meet this week.
—It sounds good.— my friend says.
—Isn't he Juleka's brother? It has been centuries I don't see him.— comments her boyfriend.
The blond doesn't say anything, he just wincing, thoughtful.

I smile and send a message to Luka telling him as soon as I can, I'll let him know. I haven't seen Luka since I started college, or maybe something before. We distanced ourselves after Jul and Rose went to live together, Luka had to help them and, when I wanted to realize, we barely spoke. That's why I'm looking forward to seeing him again, and maybe hopefully I'll be able to see Jule and Rose too.

[Adrien]

The last time I saw Luka was shortly before Kagami and I broke our relationship. At that time Mari was dating him, although they broke before the two of us. The truth is that my first kiss was with Ladybug, although they have always been for cases of akumas, so if we do not take them into account, the second was Marinette. Yes, Marinette, not Kagami. There was a time I tried to play a joke on her at the wax museum and she kissed me, but it was for a microsecond as I stepped aside... What an idiot I was. A couple of years later we performed a function (at last) and had to kiss Mari; The truth is, it didn't bother me, I really liked it quite a bit. But by then I was going out with Kagami. To be honest with myself, I was always in love with Marinette, but I think I blinded myself too much with Ladybug and then Kagami showed up and, well... Anyway, we started dating. Soon, Luka and Mari came out too. Back then, I was very happy for them, they were seen happy; until, just one day, they left him and that's it. When I asked my friend why, she had told me that things weren't working out and that's it, but nothing more, that they were much better "as friends." But I know Luka's always been in love with Mari, and that's why he missed me. Anyway, Kagami had to go with his mother to Japan for a while (it wasn't known how much) so we decided it would be best to quit too. I haven't seen her since. We write to each other once in a while, so I know it's okay and I don't worry. But, I haven't had any more girlfriends and I've joined Marinette a lot. Now that I realize, how could I have been so blind? She's always been there, for me, being my best friend, even though she was always in love with me because of what she told me... If I stop to think about all the details you had with me, now they make sense. When he gave me the "lucky charm" when we started being friends (which, by the way, I always carry with me), when he tried to throw me a surprise party (all the times he tried and never could, but that, I thought, it was incredible details), when he was working with me or when he told me that I was a fan of my work and fashion. So many moments when I was completely blind. And now she's here, sitting next to me, smiling as she talks to Alya and Nino about I don't know what. She looks beautiful and always has been, but I was too dumb to notice. I can't help but smile as I look at her and imagine a future with her and a hamster.

—What do you think, Adrien?— questions Mari, looking at me.
—Excuse me...what?
—That, like, there are a couple of weeks left to finish the college, how about the four of us going to spend the holidays at the beach?— asks Alya, who just took a pretty long sip of his chocolate.
—The four of us at the beach? I can't imagine some better holidays.
—That's what I was saying— Nino says, doing a funny pose, resting his arm in his chair.
—In addition, it would be a good opportunity to tell us everything that has happened these months, that we have hardly seen.— Marinette eats a croissant that has wet in its latte. She stains the edges of the mouth and I can't help but smile again.
—Girl, you have a little stained by...— Alya points to Mari's whole mouth and laughs.
The blue-hairist is quickly cleaned with a napkin, turning red. We all laugh until she joins in the end too.
—It's great to be with you.— adds Mari.
—Yes, it's wonderful.

We spent the morning quiet,until lunchtime. I decided to invite them to lunch at a restaurant I used to eat as a teenager. When we finished, Alya had a great idea: we went to the mall and, there, we went up to the antigravity "machine". There, you put on a special costume and with the help of an instructor, you spend half an hour doing pirouettes and all kinds of stunts (once you have practiced quite a lot, of course). It's funny when it's Marinette's turn: kicks in the air and move her arms like she's trying to swim. It seems ironic that she's Ladybug. We laughed a lot and had a good time. After four hours (since we all decided to repeat) we stayed at the mall to watch a movie.

—God, it's too late...— the blue-haired complains.
—Late? Barely is eight o'clock.— replies she's best friend.
—I have to prepare the latest exams, Alya.
—Well, we'll watch a movie and then we'll go, okay?— everyone settles on my proposal.

Said and done, we are going to see a movie and when it ends we accompany Alya and Nino to the hotel. We drive them, and then I drop Marinette off at home.

—Thank you for bringing me.— she says as he gets out of the car, after I open her door.
—There's nothing to it. Besides, I wasn't going to let you come alone and I was going to go with you. And it didn't cost me anything, i brought the car for a reason.
—You're great.— she looks at me and smiles, her cheeks flushed.

She is not corrected as it usually does, she leaves the phrase in the air, quite sure of what she just said. I give her a nice hug. I can feel her face hiding in my neck and that makes me happy. I hear the beating of her heart, as she goes from being accelerated to quieter. After a few seconds, I'm separating from her.

—Good night, Adrien.— gives me a kiss on the cheek.
I'd like to kiss her, but I'm just stroking his face.
—Good night, Mari.