Family of Darkness, Part 1

"Ahh, today's newspaper sure sells well! Although only few mourned Marisa..." I said to myself, as I stretched my arms widely after waking up from my nap.

"Aya, can I have a word?" My fellow Crow Tengu, Hatate Himekaido, asked.

"Sure, Hatate. What is it?"

"I've been doing some thoughtography, and it seems that I've noticed something. Children have been missing these days."

"Missing? What do you mean?"

"I don't know what caused it. They just vanished in the night."

"Seems strange indeed, there's supposed to be no child attackers here in Gensokyo, unlike the outside world..."

"From my thoughtography, I also deduced that Komeiji Satori have been investigating this matter."

"Satori-San? Well, I guess I should pay her a visit then."

I left Youkai mountain with my satchel, inside of it are my notepad, my pen and camera.

I went to Satori's place to see her reading from a piece of paper.

"Heyo, Satori-San."

"Oh, it's you. What is it?"

"Hatate told me that you've been investigating something about some missing children. Maybe I can help?"

"Sure. Why not? I've been spending time down here, investigating Koishi."

"Koishi-Chan is involved?"

"Hmm. She's been hiding something from me these days, and I can't read her thoughts thanks to her closed eye. Try to start with her."

"Alright. But, why don't you ask her?"

"I got a feeling she might feel suspicious if I asked. Maybe someone not from here can do the trick."

"Got it. Later, then."

"Bye."

I looked around for Koishi, and I found her happily skipping around the area. I almost didn't notice her.

"Ah, Aya-San! What brings you here?"

"Can I ask something, Koishi-Chan?"

"Sure, sure~ what would you want to ask?"

"Have you heard anything about some missing children?"

"Hmm? Missing children? Now that you mentioned it, I don't know either."

I noticed a single drop of sweat dripping from her forehead, and I can't help but feel suspicious.

Maybe I should check out her room.

I went back to Satori to ask her for permission so I can get inside Koishi's room. She agreed, and she lets me in.

Inside, was mostly normal, if not for the scary drawings on her bed.

I checked around without messing with any of her stuff, until I found a letter on the desk.

"Hmm? This looks suspicious."

I read the contents of the letter.

To Koishi
Meet us deep inside the Forest Of Magic this midnight for the usual meeting.
-R

Hmm... it's short but it does reveal that Koishi had been sneaking out of here at midnight. Maybe I should check out the forest.

I said my goodbyes on the way out, and went to the forest of magic. I scoured around the forest until I reached Alice's former home. It still looked inhabited despite the owner being exiled.

I decided to land down, and investigate the area. The exterior of the house is mostly grass and flowers, also of course, the forest. I decided to go inside, and to my surprise the door is unlocked.

The house is empty, except for the single round wooden table in what used to be Alice's kitchen.

"Hmm? What's this?" I asked myself as I noticed something that doesn't belong in the kitchen.

Something white is being hidden below the table. I reached out for it to find....

A child sized skull.

I screamed, before I clapped my mouth shut with my hands. I shouldn't let anyone see me for now.

I turned around to see the door leading to the place where I found the corpse, the display room. Inside...

Are children skeletons everywhere. I pulled out my camera and took pictures of the room to bring as proof.

I rushed out of the abandoned house, and back to Satori's place.

"Welcome back. Found anything?" Satori greeted

"Here." I gave her the letter addressed to Koishi.

"Not enough evidence. What was she doing in the Forest of Magic during these nights?"

"The reason is this... Take that!" I slammed the photos of the human skulls I found at Alice's house. "They were meeting up at Alice's house, which is supposed to be abandoned. When I arrived there, there's nobody but these skeletons at the display room."

"This is even worse than I thought. Alright, Aya. You're free to go home now, and please don't publish a newspaper with this topic for now. Who knows that Koishi's accomplices might move if they know about this." Satori widened her eyes as she sees the photos.

I left, and went home. Who were Koishi meeting? The letter's sender's initial is written... But 'R'? Who could it be? Reimu? Remilia? Ran? It could be anyone.

- Part 1/3 end.