Full Moon Murder, Chapter 3

It's either Chen or Kagerou. But I've got no more leads...

"I beg your pardon, Aya-San!" I heard Chen's voice close by.

"Whoa! How did you even get here?"

"Yukari-Sama took me. It's like this, Aya-San... I think, I think I witnessed what happened to Reisen-San!"

"Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"I forgot to! I mean, well I was about to tell you but suddenly I forgot! Sorry!"

"So, what did you see or hear?"

"I was walking nearby the Youkai Forest with my new friend, but it's when I spotted the scene behind her... It's... I'm afraid it'll be hard if I tell you directly... Maybe Hatate-San can help?"

"Well, her thoughtography is unmatched, so yes. She's still awake."

We went to Hatate's place and we told her what we want.

A few minutes later, Hatate gave me a paper with some drawings.

"This is the murder scene when it happened? I don't see anything suspicious!"

"Look carefully, Aya." Hatate told me.

"Ah yes! There's the silhouette of the culprit!"

"The culprit has pointy animal ears, like that of a cat or a Wolf's."

"Then it concluded all of my investigation! It's time to catch the culprit!"

I reviewed the suspect list and their statements.

Cirno: Was just wandering around the lake until she found an arm

Tewi: Had an argument with Reisen hours before the murder

Chen: Witnessed the murder from a distance, the culprit had pointy ears (You had them too, Chen!)

Momiji: Had a date with Kagerou until at one point she suddenly passed out.

Kagerou: Went fishing at the Misty Lake, unclear if it's before or after the murder since her feet is still caked with sand.

Clues: Brown hair, fangs, Pointy animal ears, barefooted

The clues led to Kagerou, much to my surprise. I went over to Momiji's room and witnessed a... Questionable scene which would fit in my usual newspapers, but now's not the time!

"Imaizumi Kagerou... Put on your clothes now, since you're under arrest for the murder of Reisen Inaba!"

"W... Wait, I can explain, Aya! Don't jump the gun on me just yet!"

"Tell that to Eiki at dawn!"

- Eiki's Courtroom

"Imaizumi Kagerou, you have been charged under the murder of Reisen Inaba. Is there anything you want to explain before I lay down my verdict?" Eiki asked.

"It's... I never meant to do it, Your Honor. It was by instinct."

"Ah, I've forgotten that you're a werewolf."

"I was dating Momiji, and hunted wild rabbits for us to eat, but we found none. I got terribly hungry that I crave for anything that is the closest to a rabbit... That's probably when I saw her and devour her as she sat in front of the rock. Her arm was severed, so I decided to dispose of it inside the lake but Cirno found it later on..."

"Hmm. Well, It seems I've heard enough. Imaizumi Kagerou, for your crime of murder and devouring of Reisen Inaba out of instinct, this court sentences you on area arrest for a full month. You may not leave the Bamboo Forest during that time. With that, court is adjourned!"

Eiki strikes the gavel.

- Later...

"What a night..." I yawned.

"But still Kagerou is..." Momiji sobbed.

"She didn't mean it. You can still meet her periodically at the Bamboo Forest until her sentence is over."

"Thanks, Aya-San."

A door opened, revealing an exhausted Satori.

"Aya! You need to listen to me! I found a lead on the missing children!"

- To Be Continued