The Darkest Hour - Chapter 3

"Now that you mentioned it, I didn't search the place thoroughly."

"Seriously, you're repeating your mistake like back when you almost accused Reimu for killing Marisa."

"I'm sorry."

We walked to Kourindou, to see that the place is still untouched since I left it.

"Check the back room. I'll check the front."

I nodded, and walked over to the back which is probably for storage. There, I see a large amount of blood, puddled on the floor.

"This must be where he got crucified."

I looked around again, to see a blood covered hammer, and a piece of cloth on the floor. Satori walked to the room and smiled.

"This must be Rinnosuke's cloth, but there's some red fibers on it."

"Bring it over to the mansion, this time I'm sure we'll know who the culprit is."

- Later...

"So, how's it going with that hammer, Remilia?" I asked the Vampire who owned this mansion.

"Judging by the blood's taste it's clear it's Rinnosuke's. But there are strands of hair on the hammer and after I cleaned them I finally got a lead."

"A lead? But why?"

"Because the hair's blonde."

I noted that down, and looked at Patchouli.

"So, what about the cloth I gave you?"

"After I compared the fibers on the cloth, I'm sure that it came from a red colored clothing, but it could be anything, like the skirt, hair accessories or even the dress..."

"I get it. The culprit's wearing red."

"So, I think we've got enough clues to get this prick. Review your case file."

I reviewed the file.

Hatate: Rinnosuke was still alive when she's evacuating the villagers

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Hatate: Rinnosuke was still alive when she's evacuating the villagers.

Suwako: Stayed at her shrine with Sanae. Admitted to have borrowed a Bible from the victim

Flandre: Was just finishing her tea before the incident occurred. Probably read the Bible since she said that it's a "good read", and she'd rather hug her teddy bear on her right arm than going outside.

Rumia: Wounded by the culprit. Admitted that she's right handed, since she said that it's dominant.

Clues: Blonde hair, wears red, drank tea, right handed, read the Bible.

I tell Satori who the culprit is, and we went over to confront her, as Satori called over Orin and Okuu for help. They were at the mansion the whole time.

We find Flandre standing outside the gates of the mansion, her back turned.

"Flandre Scarlet! So it is you who murdered Rinnosuke, and took over Rumia's army!" Satori shouted.

"Really? How'd you figure that out, Aya?"

"He'd left that note since he knew you'd come." I answered.

"That's just pure coincidence, I'm afraid."

"Don't deny it, Flandre! You had tea all over his glasses!"

"Everyone drinks tea. I suppose you do have crucial proof I killed him?"

"We found your hair on the murder weapon!" Orin and Okuu said in unison.

"You used the incident as an opportunity to kill Rinnosuke to make Sakuya escape her debt! But that's not necessary at all!" Satori said.

Flandre cackled menacingly. "So you knew everything, the game has already gone too far for lies now!" She said that with a very wide grin.

"Fine, I killed Rinnosuke because he is  in the way for me to achieve destiny!"

"You mean, he knew you wanted to take control of the corrupted children so you killed him and injured Rumia? How did you even manage to get pass them?" I asked.

"Oh, I don't need to get pass them! They recognized me as the mistress they always knew me to be!" Flandre's eyes slowly turned black, and a red dot glows in the middle of them.

"You... You're the third member!? But you are at Remilia's side, you're not even at the meetings!" Satori widened her eyes.

"I'm the one who planned the meetings and Rumia executed said meetings, me being in the mansion all the time is to avoid suspicion."

"But why, Flandre? Did Rumia also coerce you to rule over humans using all this darkness?" I asked.

"Nope! I merely had my own plan, to slay all humans in this darkness! I've learned that in the outside world humans had killed vampires, and they became nearly extinct! Me and Onee-Chan are probably the last ones now, here in Gensokyo! She would never listen to me, so I decided to wait for this to be the greatest opportunity!"

"But not all humans are bloodthirsty vampire hunters! Some people are good!" Orin said.

"No! There will be no peace between us and the humans! There will be only conflict. So why don't you just stand by my side, and eradicate them together? Or you'll fight me too?"

"Of course we will!" Okuu fires a small laser beam using her cannon on her right arm, which pierces Flandre's neck.

However after the beam dissipates, the wound on her neck healed instantly.

"Fools. Vampires' regenerative ability became stronger the more it is darker out here! You have no power over me!"

All of us took one step back away from Flandre.

She looked at me, and said "Out of respect for you, Aya... I will spare you for now so that you may witness Gensokyo's humans die slowly! Then I shall end you and the others who opposed to my ideas!"

She disappeared into the night as she laughed maniacally, which echoed for miles.

- To Be Continued