Chapter Twelve: Baby Steps

The moment she laid her eyes on the little child who immediately clang and called her “mommy”, her tears rolled down her face again. She kneed down to level with the little one and gave back the hug Grace giving her.

She felt horrible. This precious one in her arms is her daughter and she felt her stomach flipped the moment she remembered the times she denied her in her face. How she insisted in her little mind that she is not her mother. That she chose to believed another man’s lie over her own daughter.

She cried harder when she heard Grace asked her worriedly. “Are you alright? Why are you crying?”

Then she answered her “Oh my gosh sweetheart. I’m really sorry.”

The little one wiggled out her embrace then looked back at her. “what are you saying sorry for, mommy?”

“um..”

She didn’t know what to say. It’s just, she felt horrible and she can’t put it in words. What she’s feeling is very complicated; too many emotions.

When she didn’t answer for a while, she heard Shine spoke.

“um. Sweetheart, you called her mommy? Right?” Shine asked Grace while helping her standing.

The little one nodded.

“You see, from now on, mommy will stay here with you.” Shine told Grace slowly and gently.

Grace’ eyes twinkled for a moment then a frown formed in her beautiful face.

“what’s wrong?” she heard her ate asked.

“She’ll live with us?”

“Yes baby.”

“hm. Is that fine, mommy?” the little one is now looking back at her again.

She frowned on Grace’ little inquiry. She wiped her tears away before answering. “of course, why?” she wanted to sound sweet, but it sounded slightly desperate.

“Hm. It’s just you’re not my mommy, right? You told me that you have to be with someone else.”

That broke her heart again. This is something she insisted in her. Her tears resurfaced. She kneed again to hug her little child.

“And that is the reason why mommy said her sorry a while ago.” Then she heard his voice; from the one who just stood before them and watched their little exchange. From the man who just stare at her.

She lifted her face to see him walking slowly to them. Her heart skipped a beat whenever he stepped forward. Then she watched him kneed before them and gently make her daughter faced him; untangling her from her embrace in the process.

 She watched as he gently talked to her daughter.