Three's Story

(QUICK WARNING: This part of the story contains spoilers for the Splatoon Hero Mode and the Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion. You can skip this if you'd like."

(...)

(Ready?)

(OK)

"About four years ago, I traveled to Inkopolis Plaza, the original Turf War hotspot. My mind was set on becoming the best Turfer in the city, but that objective quickly changed when I saw an old man peeking out from below a manhole. When I made eye contact with him, he quickly ducked below the manhole, so I followed him. He introduced himself as Captain Craig Cuttlefish, leader of the 'Squidbeak Splatoon' and war veteran. Cap'n told me that our cousins, the Octolings, had stolen our Great Zapfish, and many other smaller Zapfish, which I needed to retrieve. I was given this outfit and dubbed Agent Three. As time went on, I infiltrated many different areas and took many Zapfish. Eventually, I tracked down the Octolings' leader, DJ Octavio, and battled him. With Agents One and Two, by my side, playing the sacred Calamari Inkantation, we took down the DJ, took back the Great Zapfish, and freed the Octolings from his mind-controlling reign.

"There were still a group of Octavio supporters out there, trying to take Octavio back and restore him to his power. After a few months of attacks on Inkopolis Plaza and the Cuttlefish Cabin in Octo Valley, Cap'n and I decided enough was enough, and travelled to their headquarters. We played the sacred Inkantation full blast on our radio to change their mindsets, and we converted all the Octolings except one. She and I fought, and she ended up defeating me. Shortly after, everyone in the headquarters was attacked by something, and it was powerful enough to make the entire headquarters collapse. I woke up in a dark subway called the Deepsea Metro, alone.

"I searched nearly everywhere and asked everyone I could find, trying to find the Captain, praying that Octoling hadn't finished his dwindling life. When I finally located him, he was near death, trapped in a blender with the Octoling who fought with me earlier. I broke the window below me and destroyed the blender, knocking myself out in the process. Soon after, I woke again, but... not in control. I was told later that I was being controlled by an evil telephone (of all things!) named Commander Tartar. His goal was to eradicate all existing lifeforms and create a new superior race of beings. I was forced to capture Cap'n and fight the Octoling, dubbed Agent Eight, once more. Again, I lost, and was knocked unconscious. When I woke up, I found myself on a helicopter, with Cap'n, Eight, and the new pop idols Pearl and Marina.

"From there, everything was pretty okay. I went back to playing Turf Wars. Cap'n and I returned to the Octo Valley Cuttlefish Cabin, and occasionally visited Inkopolis Square, where Pearl and Marina lived. Every once in a while, Eight would come visit. I always felt guilty when I looked at her. I mean, I attacked her twice, and from her stories, I was her 'inner demon'.

"It was one of these visits from Eight when I began to feel a weird itch in my right eye. At least, it started as an itch. Whenever I saw her, the itch would increase, and after she left, it wouldn't decrease. Eventually, it became more of a pain. It was never-ending, and eventually stopped me from going to the Square. When I looked in the mirror, I noticed that the eye was starting to tint green. But not my ink color green. Sanitized green. The green my eyes were when I was controlled, according to Marina.

"Of course, I freaked out. How had no one noticed this? So I did what I thought was the only solution at the time.

"I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a knife, and cut my eye open.

"An hour later, Cap'n returned from his visit to the Square and found me on the floor, knife in my hand and my eye oozing two different colors of green. He called Callie and Marie, and together they brought me to the hospital.

"When I came to, I saw the concerned face of Eight leaning over me. At first, I felt fear. But then I realized that the pain in my right eye wasn't there anymore. There wasn't even an itch. Cap'n filled me in on what had happened. I had been out for a week, and during that time, the doctors had inspected what was going on in my eye. There was some sort of fungus there, and it was growing with every passing day. Apparently, it was an after-effect of Tartar sanitizing me. It was a part of him, so when it saw Eight, it wanted to kill. Eventually, it would spread to my brain and corrupt me. The surgeons were able to cut it out, although it would be damaged forever due to my unofficial surgery. After that, they stitched the wound back up. I was lucky to keep my eye, but it was useless without many of its functions and a scar over it.

"I was sent back to the Cabin to recover. A few months passed, and everything was getting better. I couldn't participate in Turf Wars, but they were fun to spectate. And then came the Kensa Control.

"Naturally, I was furious. This new company waltzes in from nowhere, makes a new line of weapons, gets a lot of money, and decides to make Turf Wars their item as well. That wasn't fair at all. So I packed my belongings and grabbed a train to Inkopolis Square. I met Callie, Marie, and my successor Agent Four at New Cuttlefish Cabin. We all wanted to do something about the Control, but we didn't know what. Then the kid came through the grate. He said he saw me entering the grate, and overheard us talking about the Control. He said he had an idea to stop the Kensa Control. A risky one, but it was an idea. He proposed that we Booyah Bomb Kensa property and meeting spots until they get the idea and shut down their Control. The Squid Sisters, Four, and I entered the Cabin to discuss this, and came to the conclusion that it was the best way. We agreed to his idea, and when we asked his name, he said we could call him Cheshire. We still don't know his real name, but it doesn't really matter right now.

"We sent Cheshire on his first mission, the bombing of Beaker's Depot, the night of the revelation. It proved to be a success, and from then on, he's been bombing at least three areas per night. What you overheard yesterday night was me telling him he needed a break from all that. Every cephalopod needs their sleep.

"Anyways, as you can tell, the attacks turned out to be a failure, and Kensa successfully released their Control. Which leaves us here."