Chapter 16

When Mona resurfaced in the Training Room, Sheldon was there waiting for her. He seemed to be quite anxious.

"What happened?" Mona asked.

The horseshoe crab laughed nervously. "Oh, nothing. It's just that you took quite a while compared to last time to resurface, and that THE ENTIRE INKOPOLIS POPULATION HAS RAIDED MY STORE! ALL MY PRECIOUS CHILDREN, GONE!"

"Hey, hey, it's okay. I'll tell everyone to return their weapons when they're done with them," Mona promised, fighting back a grin.

Sheldon pulled himself together. "Yes, err, right. Thank you, Mona."

"No problem."

Buia circled Mona as she walked toward the exit. "Alright. Are you ready, Mona?"

"Ready as I'll ever be."

"Do you have a plan?"

"Nope."

"That's... reassuring."

"Hey, it'll all be okay. You said it yourself, this is what I have to do."

"Yeah, you're right. And..."

"And what?"

"And.. I believe in you."

"Thanks, Buia."

Her part said, Buia disappeared, leaving Mona to face the task alone. Which is exactly what she needed.

As the Octoling neared the door, she saw through the glass, at the war zone the Square had become.

It seemed like the Inklings and Octolings in the Square had had a change of heart. The civilians were fighting back against an army of black and white: Kensa. It looked like an even battle so far, though Mona knew the Inkopolis residents would soon fall to the well-funded company. Unless she did something about it.

Mona threw open the door and charged into the fray, dodging monotone and colored ink alike; to her, everything was fatal. As she ran toward the Deca Tower, she saw Three wielding her Hero Shot, a determined look on her face as she stopped wave after wave of Kensa employees. She looked firm, resolute as always. Lyze was there beside her, unloading a barrage of purple ink at anyone who dared approach them and laughing maniacally. He was alive! Mona's hearts soared. But she still hadn't seen Jake yet. Well, it didn't matter. She had to do this, with or without him.

As Mona neared the stairs to the Tower, things took a turn for the worse. A young Kensa Inkling stepped out of the shadows, his Brella trained on her.

"Don't make any sudden moves," he said as Mona slowly raised her hands in the air. "I would like this to be as quick and easy as possible. The president wants you alive."

"Why would Mr. Irvel want me, of all people?" Mona asked, feeling as if she already knew the answer.

The Inkling grimaced. When Mona looked into his eyes, she could see the fear, the disgust he had for his company. "Probably to torture you, force your friends into submission. He's..."

"Horrible?" The Kensa Inkling opened his mouth to object, but Mona barreled on. "Don't lie. No one else is here to hear you. Say what you like."

The Inkling's gun hand trembled. "Promise not to tell anyone?"

"Promise."

The Inkling let out a sigh, a long exhale like he had been holding his breath for some time, before lowering his weapon and his Painter's Mask. "...Yeah. He's horrible. He's a sadistic monster who will do anything to profit. I don't believe he's doing the right thing, but I'm part of it, and I can't leave. It's like how the Moon is stuck in Earth's orbit, you know? I can't get enough velocity to leave Kensa's gravity."

"I get it. But... there's an alternative."

The Inkling looked at Mona, hope glimmering in his eyes. As he opened his mouth to speak, however, Mona heard a familiar voice.

But not one she needed in her current situation.

"Mona, hang on!" Jake, her anchor to reality, rushed to her aid. "Die, Kensa scum!"

"Jake, wait!"

Jake didn't seem to hear her as he readied his Splattershot and trained it on the Inkling, who seemed to emotionally shut down. His eyes lost whatever feeling they had shown a moment prior, as he became just another robotic Kensa employee.

"STOP!" Mona ran over to the Inkling and shielded him. If he noticed, or appreciated it, he did not show it.

Finally, something got through to Jake. He lowered his gun, a confused and hurt look in his eyes. "Mona, what gives? Why are you helping the enemy? Are you cheating on me or something?"

"Wha- no, I'm not!" Mona blushed furiously. "It isn't even really official yet! And he's a good person! I was talking to him, and doing just fine on my own, thank you very much!"

"You're a lucky guy, Jake, was it?" The Inkling dared to speak. "She's really good at reading people, and knowing exactly what to say. She's a natural therapist. And a kind soul, which you don't see many of nowadays."

The two lovebirds stared at the Inkling for an uncomfortable moment. Then Jake sighed. "You're not wrong there, pal. What's your name?"

"I'm Harris."

"Well, Harris, I'm assuming you had a change of heart, seeing as you haven't killed us both yet?"

"Yeah, you assume right," Harris said as he looked in disgust at the red laundry clip attached to his shirt pocket; the symbol of Kensa. "Mona, earlier you said something about an alternative. Please, do tell. I want nothing to do with our esteemed president."

"Well," Mona said tentatively, "you could just join us."

Harris looked at Mona, really looked at her, like he could see past the flesh and ink, into her soul. "Do you really believe it's that easy?" He finally asked, out of genuine curiosity.

"Harris, I'm about to try to talk a heartless company out of leeching money from the civilization, when I haven't raised my voice in over a year. It's not going to be that easy. Nothing really is. You have to strive for your goals, because if you don't, there's no point in ever having goals.

"All I'm saying is, I'm going up there, against all odds. The mere fact that I'm here today is against all odds. But I'm going to try. It can never hurt to try." Mona smiled at Harris. It felt good to really smile. "It's your call. Want to give it a shot?" She said as she held out her hand.

Harris seemed to open up again. Mona could almost see him lowering the Brella canopy that shielded his emotions. "Sounds like a deal," he said, and shook hands with the Octoling. "Now let's get this show on the road."