Chapter 8

"Are you sure that's what's been happening?! These guys could be brainwashing you!" Jake loudly doubted, after being filled in by Mona, with slight comments from Three and Lyze.

"Yes. I'm very sure." Mona replied.

"I mean no malice towards you, Mona, but where's your evidence? Can you prove their innocence?"

"I don't have any evidence. All I have is-"

"I've got it!" Three exclaimed. Mona looked at her quizzically.

"What have you got now, Three?" Lyze asked lazily.

"I remember where I've seen you." She nodded at Jake.

"Me?" Jake pointed to himself.

"Yes. Remember the Squidbeak Splatoon?" Three asked, memories dancing in her eyes. After a moment, Jake's eyes lit up.

"Oh yeah! I saved some small Zapfish with my sister! Those missions are also what helped me to meet a good friend. At the time, she was still under Octavio's control. She tried to kill me, but those were some of the greatest times I've ever had in my life."

"Oh. Well, that's great. I guess." Lyze said. He gave Jake a look that said, "Okay, not bad, hotshot." Jake gave a small nod back.

"What do we do now?" Mona asked.

"We relocate. Like we should have done about an hour ago." Three said dryly.

"What do you mean you have to relocate? What happened?" Jake questioned.

"Well, Cheshire here splatted some Kensa operatives that were here around 5 minutes before you came here."

"They were breaking and entering. They deserve it."

"Just because it's true doesn't mean it doesn't have negatives."

"Touché."

"Alright. Mona, Jake, since you're here, do you mind helping us pack everything?"

"Sure," Mona responded.

"Wait, wait, wait. Where are you two going?" Jake asked.

"The Metro. The Deepsea Metro." Lyze responded before Three could.

Three gave him a dirty look. "Cheshire, why the Metro? You know Eight still has slight PTSD."

"Cut the Cheshire crap. Just call me Lyze. And it's about the bigger picture, Three. It's not all about one agent when there are several others."

"How many agents are there?" Mona asked quietly.

"Well..." Three counted on her fingers. "There's the main seven, the Cap'n, and Lyze, and if you include Jake and his sister..." Three looked up. "There are eleven members as of now."

"There could be twelve," Lyze interjected.

"No," Three firmly said.

"C'mon, why not? We could use some fresh blood."

"I feel bad enough asking you to risk your life on these attacks. It's not an option."

"Excuse me," Mona interrupted their little argument, "But do you want me to join the Squidbeak Splatoon?"

"Yes," came Lyze's response, at the same time as Three's "No."

"It's up to you, Mona." Now Jake cut in. "If you want to, you are welcome to."

Mona considered it. If she could find a meaning in her life, when would she find a better opportunity than this? It didn't seem too bad. Plus, she could make good on her promise and talk with Three. She made a promise to talk, and she intended to keep it.

"I'll do it. I'll join."

Lyze and Jake looked happy. Three sighed before speaking. "Alright. I'll grab you an outfit."

"Actually, I think it's better if I don't have one."

Three looked at her funny. "Why not? It's really strong, and allows you to take a few extra hits."

"But remember-" Mona pointed at her tentacles, draping down beneath her hat.

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"Looks mean a lot, even unconsciously. If you need to speak with Kensa, I'm your girl. Monotone matches with them, and that makes them instantly more trusting of me, even if they don't know it."

Three debated this. It looked like she didn't want to agree to it, but Mona's argument was valid and logical.

"Sure, if that's what you want. Any special codename you want, or just a number?"

"How about... Phantom?"

"Sure." Three looked her up and down. "It suits you. Welcome to the Squidbeak Splatoon, Phantom."

"Alright, relocation time." Lyze broke the moment, and judging by Three's facial expression, he does that a lot.