Chapter 9

As if on cue, the next knocks on the door were very angry. Everyone in the room knew that the Kensa executives were back. They had wasted time filling Jake in.

"Phantom, Jake, out! Now!" Three ordered, grabbing her Hero Shot. "Cheshire and I got this."

"As an old agent of the Splatoon, wouldn't you think that it would be logical for me to stay and help?" Jake asked.

"Fine. Jake, do what you can. Phantom..." Three looked unsure.

Mona understood. "Don't worry, I get it. I'm useless in this situation. Hey," she added when she saw Three's expression, "no hard feelings, alright?"

"Not everyone is useless. Don't be so hard on yourself, Phantom. Move quickly." Lyze stated. "There's a door in the back. Take that and sneak around."

"Got it. Good luck, Three, Cheshire. Jake, stay alive."

"Got it."

With she had nothing else to say, Mona saluted the agents and slipped out the back door. Jake followed her.

"FUGITIVE LYZE, MISS, AND... WHOEVER THE NEW GUY IS!" A.J. bellowed. "PUT YOUR WEAPONS DOWN AND FOLLOW US PEACEFULLY!"

"Nope," came Lyze's calm retort, "not gonna happen. Three, is anything in here fragile or of importance to you?"

"Uh, no..."

"'Kay." From outside, Mona could hear the telltale sound of a special being activated, and judging by Jake's screaming "BOOYAH!" at the top of his lungs, she knew exactly what was going to happen next.

She sprinted toward the grate, and dove just before the Booyah Bomb started ripping through everything.

Through sheer luck, she made it through the drain cover, navigating her way through the twists and turns until she emerged in Inkopolis, breathing hard. After a few moments, Jake came flying out of the grate, just behind her. He landed without much grace.

"Jake! You okay?"

"I'm fine. I guess I kind of hyped up Cheshire's Bomb too much, because it wrecked the entire Tentakeel Outpost." He shrugged sheepishly. "I managed to change my ink color to purple, Lyze's color, as did Three, so I assume they survived. And I hope the Kensa guys didn't."

"Well, we shouldn't stay here and wait for them to come back. We should probably go help them, or... something, I don't know what, but something."

Jake stayed silent for a moment. "I'm with you. Let's go help some fugitives." He motioned to Mona. "Ladies first."

"Pssh, nice excuse, chicken." Mona teased him, a little too harshly.

"I'm not a chicken. I just have to get wired to the SPAWN pad back at Sheldon's. If you want to, you can come with me. You're already wired to it though, so it won't really matter."

"Alright. Go hook up with your SPAWN pad. I got this."

"You sound really cheesy, you know that?. Well, whatever. Just go save some agents. I'll be there soon."

"See you soon, Jake."

"Right back atcha, Mona- I mean, Phantom."

With no more words to be said, Mona dove headfirst into a war zone.