31| Wayfinding

The morning Impa arrived back at Kakariko was a somewhat startling one

The morning Impa arrived back at Kakariko was a somewhat startling one. It was like one moment she wasn't there, and the next she was there in the kitchen helping Paya prepare breakfast. Link was a light sleeper, but he didn't even hear her come inside.

Link sensed Zelda approaching from behind and asked, "Did ya hear Impa come in at all?" He glanced at her. "Oh, and mornin'." Following a return of the greeting, Zelda peered into the kitchen around Link.

"Oh wow, she is back," she said, surprised. "And no, I didn't hear her either."

It was impressive, yet unnerving. Link winced. "It's like she's a damn..." He trailed off, realizing what he was just about to say.

"A Sheikah?" Zelda finished, raising an eyebrow.

"Forget I said that. I'm still half-asleep," Link sighed, rolling his eyes as Zelda snickered. He couldn't deny that he'd walked into that one, though he really was tired.

Impa then noticed the Holders standing in the doorway and gave them a look over her shoulder. "If you two are awake enough to gawk, do you mind helping us?" she asked.

"I dunno, I'm still pretty tired," Link said, inching away from the door. He anticipated Zelda trying to grab his arm and avoided it, only for her to skillfully snag his other as he tried to move away.

"We'd love to help," Zelda said, pulling Link into the kitchen with her before he could protest further.

It was almost odd to see Impa casually eating breakfast with the others and making idle conversation. Her demeanor, for the brief time Link was able to witness it, didn't seem capable of being laid-back.

"Paya informed me of your situation," Impa said, "and while I'm glad your mission at the temple was a success, I do offer my pity for the injuries you all sustained. You don't have to worry about staying here, because I'm willing to offer hospitality for as long as you need it."

We weren't worried since Paya already reassured us that we would be safe here, Resa said.

Impa nodded, looking relieved. "That's good to hear, you weren't worrying this whole time while I was gone."

"So what were ya doin' in Castle City, anyways?" Link asked. "You said you're Daemos' spy, but what exactly does that mean?" He couldn't help but ask, especially since Impa had been gone for so long. A flicker of concern flashed through Resa's aura, though it was brief and laced with understanding.

"I'd like to know that as well, if it's not too intrusive," Zelda said.

Impa looked from Link to Zelda before replying. "I was meant to report any information about the Holders if I or any of the other Sheikah were to come across them."

Link frowned as Zelda looked worried. "I don't believe you would, but did you say anything about us?" she asked.

Impa shook her head. "While I wish the Sheikah could swear themselves to the royal family even without the Triforce of Wisdom remaining in their bloodline, we have a bias of our own," she said. "I changed my priorities to gathering information I could share with you."