47| From Another World

At first, Daemos didn't move when Luce broke down the balcony doors

At first, Daemos didn't move when Luce broke down the balcony doors. He stood still enough that he almost resembled a statue. Then he spoke.

"So the traitor has returned," he turned to face the group, "and you have brought the Holders as well." Link was taken aback by Daemos' appearance. His shoulders were slouched, his refined stance no longer present. Dark bags hung under his eyes, given further emphasis by his thin, haggard face and pale skin. It was like he had spent months withering away in a room away from any sunlight whatsoever. His lip curled back into a snarl as he glared at Ganondorf. "If you think this will excuse your betrayal, then you are mistaken!"

"I don't intend to help you any longer," Ganondorf said. "I only wish to help the man I grew up with, not the demon that has possessed him."

Daemos' gaze darkened. His hand grasping the railing clenched into a fist. "You gifted this power to me, Dragmire? And you call me a demon?"

Ganondorf shook his head. "N-no, I—"

"Silence!" Daemos cut him off with a forceful bellow. Driven by instinct, Ganondorf fell silent.

We will give you one chance to surrender yourself, Daemos, Resa said. Please take it.

Daemos looked away from Ganondorf, searching the group. "Who said that?" His gaze went to Fira, then Resa as she crossed her sashes. "You must be the Aegislash Overseer," he said. "You are a fine specimen of a Pokémon, even with one made with a temporary soul."

Resa's aura flared with irritation, though it was nothing compared to the deep sorrow that was overtaking it. If you are still in there, Daemos, please stop this, she said. Think of what your mother would say if she were here, think of her feelings.

Daemos' face fell blank momentarily, his posture straightening. "My... mother," he murmured as he began to tremble.

Remember your mother, Resa repeated. She would tell you to stop this, this isn't who you are!

Daemos' trembling grew into shudders that wracked his body. It wasn't with sadness, but rage. "Shut up!" he shouted. "None of you... say another damn thing," he continued in a growl. His gaze turned to Link and Zelda, and Link protectively moved in front of her. "You two... All I need from you is your power!" His aura burst into gold with divine power, and Link's heart jolted in panic.

"C-call them, Zel!" he shouted, but his voice was drowned out by a roar from Daemos. It sounded like one, a primal roar from an untamed creature, A powerful pulse of energy swept out from Daemos, knocking everyone off-balance in an instant.

Link's mind was scattered in an instant by the pulse, his core reverberating with crackling energy. All he could do was flail his arms as he tried to regain his footing. Through his blurred vision he saw Daemos running at him, not walking, running. Just as he got his feet back under him, the king was looming over him. The next thing he knew, he couldn't breathe as Daemos' hand closed around his neck.