35| Nocturne of Shadow

As Link's group progressed deeper into Eldin, the terrain only grew rougher

As Link's group progressed deeper into Eldin, the terrain only grew rougher. It got to the point where he and Zelda had to contribute some of their Holder powers in order to create handholds or blast apart rocks in general. Overhangs were becoming more common, but so were the risks of rockslides. Loose stones were everywhere, and Link had to catch Zelda a few times when she slipped. Really, only they were struggling since everyone else was naturally light on their feet, even more so than Link. It made him feel inferior, but he kept his complaints internal.

   Finally, after days of rough terrain, the group reached Yiga Canyon. According to Zelda, the canyon got its name because it once housed the base of an ancient clan that rivaled the Sheikah. Without even looking down into the canyon, the Aura-sensors were able pick up on a large group of auras beneath them. Link and Ena dared to glance over the canyon edge to see what they were dealing with.

   Yiga Canyon was naturally shaped like a funnel. The thin end made up the overhang-shaded passage to the wide end, where the overhangs receded to make room for a large hollow. At the top end of the funnel, partially obscured by a shadow as they were set into the cliff itself, were a large pair of stone doors. That was all that could be seen of the temple, it was like the cliff had swallowed the rest. But of course, there was still the auras to account for.

   When Link squinted, he could see a group of people and Pokémon. Eight were Gerudo with what seemed like a Hylian or two mixed in, and he could see at least five Pokémon. "Can ya see what Pokémon those are?" Link hissed to Ena. He wanted to think the metallic red shimmering was from a Scizor, but he wasn't sure.

   Ena stared at the group, hesitantly replying, "Scizor, no, Bisharp. And... I don't see any others, which is strange since I sense more Pokémon auras down there. I thought they would have some kind of Electric-type since paralysis is an easy way to subdue others."

   While Link hadn't fought a Bisharp before, he'd seen them in action. They weren't as dangerous as Scizor, but they were still nasty opponents to face with the blades on their arms. "It could just be Pokémon hiding underground or somethin'," he suggested. There was a flock of Spearow and Fearow flying overhead at the moment, though their presences clearly registered as being above him. He backed away from the edge, not feeling comfortable with possibly being in view. Ena followed him, and they reported to the others.

   Ten to thirteen is s-surprisingly good odds, Resa said. But of course... we sh-shouldn't think we have the u-upper hand.

   "So what's the plan?" Haruo asked. "Obviously we need to pick some of them off. Should we split up and ambush 'em?"

   "We would only be able to take out some of them, not all of them," Ena said, with her sister silently agreeing.

   "Then... maybe we could trigger a rockslide?" Haruo suggested, cocking his head to the side in thought.