50| A Wish for the Future

The following evening, Link was alerted by Zelda and Fira's auras outside his room

The following evening, Link was alerted by Zelda and Fira's auras outside his room. It seemed that the guards actually trusted Link's word that he wouldn't run, resulting in a guard Pokémon's altered patrol route passing by his room at night instead of guards being present around the clock. On one of the occasions where the Pokémon had already passed, Zelda made her move.

   In seconds, the lock clicked, and the four met up in the hall. From there, it was relatively easy to reach the gardens, thanks to a passage Zelda had discovered. The Overseers had hidden themselves away in a far corner of the gardens that hadn't been affected by the Holders' clash, a place the guards avoided until the great Swords departed. It wasn't like they could force the Swords to leave; no guard wanted to risk upsetting guardians appointed by the goddesses.

   Link breathed in deeply as he ran through the gardens. There was nothing like the nighttime air, especially during autumn and spring when it had a crisp edge. The full moon lit the small group's path, down stone paths and across carefully-tended grass. Their destination was a small copse of trees in the back of the gardens. A gazebo sat in a clearing in the copse's center, where the four Overseers were waiting... along with somebody else.

   "Ganondorf?" Link questioned with a concerned frown. The Gerudo turned his head to look at Link. It had been the first time Link had seen Ganondorf since the clash, and he looked no better than he had then. While his injuries had been treated, evidence of sleep deprivation was easy to see on his face, and grief had defiled his once-intimidating presence.

   "If you're curious, that Overseer, Keldo, requested I come here," Ganondorf said, his voice a tired gravel. "There won't be any consequences for leaving your room if they summoned you as well."

   "They had, don't worry," Zelda said. "I wouldn't let him out of the room unless it was for something like this."

   Ganondorf nodded, pursing his lips in a way that could almost be interpreted as a smile. "You're not bad, Holder of Wisdom," he said. Link resisted the urge to roll his eyes, but he had to say something.

   "Not like I'd run anyways. I know I halfta deal with what I've done." There were no words from Ganondorf following Link's comment, but Link could sense the slight approval. He didn't care whether he had gotten it or not, but it was nice to not have stifling hostility now. What it had taken to achieve it...

   Keldeo spoke up, smiling. I only asked you 'cause you were the Holder of Power before, right? he asked, and Ganondorf nodded. This is somethin' all the Holders need to hear before we go.

   It still surprises me that you were willing to give up such power, Virizion said. You held the power of gods in the palm of your hand, and yet you gave it away. Even if you loved him, surely a Holder would want to use their powers to protect their loved ones, not gift it for them to use.

   "I still see His Ma—Daemos as the true Holder of Power, not me," Ganondorf said solemnly. "I do want it back in case I need to utilize it during my reign, but if it would result in me being taken over by whatever had controlled Daemos, it's not worth it."