36| Gerudo Fortress

When Link stirred into consciousness, for a moment, he wished he could sink back under

When Link stirred into consciousness, for a moment, he wished he could sink back under. The air was very warm, like a thick blanket wrapped around him. It was a struggle to even open his eyes, let alone lift his head. As he did, his surroundings came into focus. A small, empty room, sandstone walls and floor with a barred window to the outside, and a wooden door with a gap near the top. Sunlight leaked through the window, providing the only light.

   Despite his exhaustion, he tried to move, only to be restricted as cold loops dug into his wrists and ankles. He'd been chained to a wall, and the metal links only extended a few inches, leaving him little room to move. He wanted to cry out, but the gag in his mouth silenced him. Panic chased away more of the haze clouding his mind as he struggled. He was reminded of the other times he'd been restrained like this, feeling like he couldn't breathe.

   Stop it! he scolded himself, forcing himself to close his eyes and breathe deeply. What was he doing, acting like this? These weren't the vines of a Tangrowth or the tentacles of a Tentacruel. Arguably, this situation was even worse. How many times was he going to be locked up like this? He despised it with every fiber of his being. The Gerudo compared him to a wild Pokémon, even if it had been their fault that he ended up this way.

   After taking a few more calming breaths, Link had regained enough composure to better analyze his situation. The chains leading to his ankles had the most slack, and he could either choose to kneel or sit criss-cross. He chose the latter since it hurt his knees slightly less, though his wrists were still pinned up next to his face. Of course they wouldn't let him sit comfortably, let alone give him much room to move. He then reached out with his senses as far as he could. They swept across what felt like a large complex, with numerous auras walking through corridors. None were those he recognized, so only he had been captured.

   Only I was... Something in his chest twisted, and guilt rose in him. The fate of Zoroark was unquestionable. He hoped the Dark-type had passed before the Gerudo ended him themselves. Link didn't like the idea of the Gerudo putting Zoroark out of his misery. In their case, it didn't come off as an act of mercy.

   Link mourned for Zoroark a minute longer before reluctantly pulling himself back to the current situation. He had to figure out where he was. The one guard had mentioned bringing him to a fortress, and judging by the materials his cell was constructed out of along with how hot it was, he could guess that he had indeed been taken to the Ikana-Gerudo Fortress, so that was where he had to be.

   Link's heart sank. He already knew Zelda and Luce were going to be both pissed off and worried about him for letting this happen, and he apologized internally for it. He could only imagine what was going on back at the canyon, but he forced himself to shake it off. He and the others had prepared for this as best they could, and at least the worst case scenario turned out as good as it could have. All he had to do was escape.

   He did his best to monitor the auras around him as well as trying to figure out a way to free himself. Curses surged forth when he recalled that his lockpick had been tucked into the stitch-work of his pants pocket. There was no way he'd get ahold of them unless he could free one of his hands. Unfortunately, this wasn't possible then. The cuffs were too tight to slip out of, not unless he tried to break his thumbs beforehand.