Chapter 12

Asuna P.O.V

                     I put down my stuff in my room and sat down in my white chair to distress from the situation unfolding.

          The plan is in its second phase. Combining all the worlds in the World Seed Nexus into one VR world. In order to do that we had to take off some data, by wiping some of the data of the worlds and half of the players that were stuck in the data clusters. Which means...she has done it again.

                      Ever since my mother gained complete access and control of GGO by buying the company in the US, she wanted revenge for what happened to me back in Sword Art Online. I saw the reasons why as I lost two years from my life thanks to that world. She somehow found out some supposed confidential information I was telling my councilors back in the SAO Survivors school. About the murderous guild Laughing Coffin. And since Laughing Coffin was also made by VR players, she saw all VR players as corrupt. I wouldn't care too much about the players, except for one person.

                        Thinking about her, I quickly got my phone out in urgency and went to make a call. Please, please. Please pick up. Soon, I heard a yawn in the call.

           "Oh man, that was some good sleep. Good morning Asuna!" She chirped

           "Yuuki! Oh, thank goodness. How are you?" I asked the purple-haired girl.

            "I'm doing great! Is something wrong Asuna?" She asks

                          Yuuki always knew when something was wrong with me. Even when I try to hide such things. But this, I don't think I have the heart to tell her. How such a criminal I am as much as my mother and yet I didn't see anything wrong with it. Yuuki opened my eyes when we first met and continue to do so. But I don't know what to do, ultimately destroy the existence of the virtual world, or save it.

             "Yuuki, I don't know what to do. I've done some horrible things. Things that are irreversible. Things in the level that the Commander did." I said softly. I told Yuuki about Sword Art Online. About Kirito. If there was one thing that I had to tell her, it was those two years I spent in the virtual world.

                           After a pause, she spoke. "Oh Asuna, but did you do it alone?" She asks softly

              "No, I just aided my mother. She did all of the heavy work. At the time I didn't care to stop her, but now I don't know. Even if I decide to go against her, how do I..." I paused in a short of words. How do I face her? How do I face Kazuto? How do I face Shino after everything I did to her? I am not even sure if she is alive anymore. That last thought was what made me choke in my already coming tears.

               "Asuna, the past happened. It is true that it is irreversible, but that doesn't mean you can't do some good to attempt to account for your sins." Yuuki said tenderly.

                          I went to my bed with the phone in hand and laid down. "Is it worth it anymore Yuuki? I've been making so much heartbreak for everyone. Literally and figuratively. Can I really make a difference? Can I adapt and change and do some good? Wouldn't just be better if I and this pain didn't exist?" I cried softly. There was another pause from Yuuki and maybe a sob.

               "It's okay to live Asuna, even if there's no greater point to living. Wouldn't you rather experience life regardless of your position, instead of throwing it all away?" Yuuki asked softly.

                        I thought about what she said and nodded to myself and wiped my tears. "Heh, I'm sorry Yuuki. Maybe I could join you and just fly around ALfiem all the time." I suggested with a small smile.

              "I wouldn't really suggest that Asuna, even though that would be awesome. What if you in the real world get hungry?" She asks

              "But don't you get hungry?" I ask her curiously. "Certainly you log out to get some food too. And use the bathroom and such."

             "Yeah, I do. I spend so much time in ALfiem that I forget sometimes." Yuuki laughs.

                        The way Yuuki responded brought my mind back to a conversation I had with Dr.Rinko, the girlfriend of the Commander, back about a week ago. How after the events of SAO, she started working on the Medicuboid with the technology from the Nervergear. She said it was developed to improve the quality of life for terminally ill patients and help them recover if possible. She said so far they have one tester but due to confidentiality, she couldn't tell me about the patient or why they were testing the Medicuboid. But she hoped one day she would show me not only the machine but the tester who volunteered.

                There's no way Yuuki can be the tester. No way. I refuse to believe that. She goes to school and lives a life similar to mine. But with her hours of gaming, it reminds me of Kazuto. It might even surpass his. I chuckle with that thought.

               "Hey, Asuna?" Yuuki asked

                "Oh, I'm sorry Yuuki! Was just thinking some more." I said honestly with a smile.

                "Hmph, I thought you hanged up on me." She said but then giggled a bit as she couldn't stay mad for long. "Just know you are not alone alright? I will always be right there fighting by your side."

                          I giggled as well. "They didn't call you the Absolute Sword for nothing Yuuki." I said remembering her story on how she won constant duels, 67 to be exact, in ALO. She was known as Zekken or the Absolute Sword.

                 "You're most definitely right! But speaking of that we need to duel again!" Yuuki exclaimed wanting me to log in to ALO. I guess so. It'll be the last time I'll be able to see that world. The second phase should be 50% done so ALO is not totally lost yet.

                  "You're on! Let me just do some final errands and I'll be on in 15 minutes." I said excitedly.

                             We bid our goodbyes and I took a quick shower before putting on some pajamas and taking out the Amusphere out of it's hiding spot. Before logging in, I went into my computer and checked my emails. And to my surprise, I saw one from Dr.Rinko. It was titled Exhibition Trip to the Ocean Turtle. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: A strong antagonist needs a strong presence in a story. Yuuki will be an essential part of Asuna's life going forward. But will Yuuki be enough to bend Asuna's ways and will she be able to do it successfully? Will Yuuki not only be able to change Asuna's perspective in her mother's plan for the World Seed but on Shino? Let me hear your guy's thoughts on Asuna and Yuuki's appearance in the story!