Chapter 20

Asuna P.O.V

      "I haven't been to the outside world for quite a while." She said back then. "But one thing I know is that while we probably look different from our real-world selves, we still have the same souls, the same personality as our real-world counterparts."

      "Oh don't worry about it Asuna! You know I'm used to long hours" She said. Yet she could have dropped at any minute due to fatigue.

      "And leave you here? No way Asuna. I promised I wasn't leaving your side until my last breath and I intend to keep that promise." She did keep that promise. Until...

       "Yuuki!!" I shouted, remembering what happened moments after that last thought. Trying to control my breathing, I finally opened my eyes and a small gasp came from my mouth.

                I was in some kind of laboratory. A very not well lit laboratory with rows and rows of giant green test tubes. It reminded me back when I was stuck in Alfheim and I saw all of the remaining SAO players, just stuck and powerless. I can't see inside the test tubes, but that doesn't mean people are not in there. Not that I can get them out of there as I was bound to the wall by chains.

          "So that's the name of the player you've been so attached to. How cute yet ironic for someone that said they agreed with me that the virtual world was nothing but corrupt." She said. I looked up in disgust of the person who birthed me and raised me for my 19 years of life. Except for the time I was in that world.

                 Was I shocked to see her? Not really. As this world was the last phase of our plans. The last thing before making the virtual world disappear with everyone logged in along with it. No, I wasn't surprised about her appearance. I was shocked about what she was wearing.

           "That's the ALO avatar I gave you as a gift." I said softly

           "At least you got that right." She said bitterly

           So that confirms it, I'm still in this makeshift virtual world. This united world. But it doesn't seem like we are united at all. We are more separated than anything. I looked to my left and I saw the same girl that joined me and Yuuki at that cave before knocking us out.

           Is she a NPC?? Or is she actually human, a girl, that my mother forcefully took under her wing and put her into this mess.

         "If you are thinking if she is an NPC, you are correct. I found her data and coding as part of the GGO servers. I decided to do some corrections since all of her original program was all null." My mom said bluntly.

          "Corrections? What do you mean by correntions?" I asked her.

          "Never mind that. What I need to ask you is why did you go against my words Asuna? Everything was going so well! Why go behind my back and try to sabotage this entire thing that we started?" She said acting like she was the victim. I looked away from her.

          Why? Even that I don't know. I just accepted Dr. Koujiro's invitation, I met Yuuki in the real world, and just logged in. I had no intentions on stopping Yuuki or Kirito from their goals. Yuuki, she was the only reason why I fully made my decision. Seeing her and her fighting spirit despite her condition reminded me that not all VR players are like Laughing Coffin. She also reminded me of Kirito and the first time we worked together on a murder mystery back in Aincraid. How I was so wrong about him in the beginning..

                  I took a breath, and spoke to her. For the first time, out of my heart. "One of my friends showed me that there was much more to the virtual worlds than just games." I started calmly. "Yes, there was SAO. Yes, it was my hell, my prison for two years. But it was in that floating castle that I hold onto more memories than just pain and agony. Yes, there was grief, times when I was depressed and wanting to end it all, times when I thought I was losing myself. But, in the end, I also found myself. It was not just SAO but the virtual world as a whole that taught me how to be me again! I just can't erase my memories of Aincrad. As much as he hates me, I can't erase my memories of Kazuto. I can't forget the times I spent there!" I shouted.

                   I took another breath, trying to calm myself. Even though I was shaking, it felt good to finally let my true feelings out. "I can't just erase it all because of a few bad people. The virtual world is not just a game but it's another reality where people share the same laugh and tears as in the real world." I finished.

                 Even though I was vulnerable in front of her, she looked at me blankly, disappointed even. I can see the pure disappointment and exhaustion in her eyes.

          "I thought talking to my own daughter would convince her but my own daughter has now become corrupt." She sighed. I was slowly getting metnally exhausted. Why can't she see that not every player is corrupt?

          "Mom! Please understand that not everyone is like Laughing Coffin. Not every player, every person is a murder! Not every player is a killer. Some players put in all of their hours to another adventure, they put their all into it! Why can't you see that-" Suddenly I felt a very sharp pain on my shoulder. I looked down and it was a big needle. I looked up at my mother with the gun in her hand.

         "Well, one thing I have to condemn you for was going after the girl. That should delay them a bit. In time for my little group of boys to get to the turtle and take control of it. But for now, my little Asuna, you should rest. You'll need it as you wont be yourself for quite a while. My apology that it has come to this." She said before starting to leave where I was. I try to yell, scream, shout at her. But nothing was coming out of my mouth.

           Not myself? What do you mean not myself?! Why can't I speak?! What have you done to me?!

                My vision started to get filled with black dots. The last thing I saw was the girl NPC, Premier, looking sadly on me and maybe a bit guilty. Don't be sad. I don't blame you for not helping. It is my fault that this has started. That you are even here.

         Shino..Kirito..Yuuki. I am sorry. I have failed you.

**********************************************************

Third P.O.V

               All alone, a girl stood in a dark forest. Staring blankly, she felt forsaken. Companionless. But all she can focus on is how she can save her world from the inevitable.

              Just thinking about it brings tears to her eyes. She was lost, senseless. With no one and nothing but trees in sight she felt hopeless. The girl knelt down and cried for what it seemed forever.

               After a few moments, she wipes her tears with her sleeve and stands up. Making sure no leaves were on her white dress, she starts to walk, hoping she'll stumble on at least a sign.

        Please, for is there a god that is watching me, please show me. Show me at least my prayers to Stacia are being listened to. I must save my world from it's destruction. But how can I if I don't even have a weapon to call my own? How can I if I am stuck in this endless maze?

              After that last thought she saw something shine in the corner of her eye. Turning to the left, she felt her legs walking towards the direction without her telling them to. The girl squints her eyes to see the object better. Once she got a better look at it she started running.

             Bending down and digging, the girl brought out a familiar sword. One that has been with her since she could remember in her world.

           Oh my flowers...A tear escaped her once more and landed on the sheath of the sword. She wiped it and got up with a new found resolve. Soon a pixelated purple portal appeared before her.

        Whatever may be on the other side of this phenomenon, I will face it. I will save my world. She thought with resolution.

                 With pride and now with her sword back in her hands, she stepped inside.

          I must find a way or I'll be a disgrace of a knight.