PROLOGUE

To quote J.K.Rowling, "There is no good and evil, there is only power and those too weak to seek it."

Urge to control and dominate is the seed of a corrupt mind that, if not curbed, germinates into hunger for power which ultimately destroys everything. From time immemorial, abuse of power has killed loved ones, has demolished homes, villages and has annihilated cities and countries. And yet, man refuses to learn from his mistakes. Take for instance, Rewa. She is adopted, loved and cherished only to be used as a tool to gain power...

REWA....

In spite of the darkness of her world, Rewa found joy in the sounds that surrounded her; the rattle of the water pump in the mornings, the cycle bell of the milkman, the gentle swish of breeze that kissed her face when she sat on the steps paddling her legs in water or when the jingling vibration of anklets as they matched the rhythm of Indian drums tabla – these familiar sounds cheered her while the smell of fragrant sticks and blooming jasmines enthralled her. In the small attic she slept, she felt secure especially when the nightmares awakened her with its terrifying intensity. 

Slipping from the hand that gripped her, the dark swirling waters swept her away from the hold as a beautiful angelic face faded from her sight....

This nightmare occurred every time she was disturbed or scared or sad. Beyond the nightmare, she had no recollection of life other than the one she was living presently. The darkness that encompassed her was part of her life and she stopped bothering about it after her mother and father explained one day that babies loved by the unerring gods blessed them with darkness. And she had accepted it without question. From an early age, she was taught by her parents to dance and when she moved rhythmically to the drums or music, a hush fell on the room. She had never seen her audience hence she was neither aware of their nefarious intentions nor their salaciousness.

She was running her hand over the smooth texture of her dress when the door to her room creaked open. From the footsteps, she knew it was her mother,

"Oh you are up!" her mother exclaimed.

"Yes, I woke up early. The bright sunlight forced me to wake up."

"Oh my poor thing! I will ask your father to fix a plank on the window."

"No no, it is ok... I don't mind the warmth on my eyes."

"Great! Listen, I came here to warn you that there are only thirteen months left for your major performance. You must practise well because we are planning to call some important people to grace the event."

She nodded quietly at her mother's words, not expressing her unwillingness. Somehow, the event that her parents planned and discussed with such excitement agitated her. However, she did not voice her discomposure aloud. After her mother left, Rewa climbed down the wooden steps of the small house and ventured outside tentatively. She felt the warm balmy rays of the sun and sauntered happily towards the arched granite pillars that had been abandoned long ago. Groping for the craggy surface of the columns, she smelt the dank odour of yesteryear ruins. Her feet touched the coarse and uneven floor. Taking some more steps, her knees felt the edge of the slab of platform she was searching for. Sitting on the stone podium, her fanciful imagination pictured the bygone glory of yore... Men and women traipsing around the temple courtyard in their embellished garments, and children attired in silk fabric gathering around the scholar for more knowledge thus bringing the center of worship to life. Trying to picture a more bustling scene from the past, Rewa absorbed the serene ambience of that day in peaceful silence. Many centuries ago, the temple had been a thriving center of worship, discussions and knowledge. But now it lay in abandon and ruins. There were many small chambers built around the main shrine. Two pillared corridors ran parallel on both sides of the courtyard. There was a square stepped water tank and a central hall that was blackened at places due to the fire that had ravaged the temple long ago.

The quietness was suddenly broken by sounds of whispers drifting from the dark chamber across the courtyard. Following the sound she tiptoed carefully, mindful that she didn't trip or bang onto some pillar. Reaching the chamber, she hovered doubtfully as she heard the murmur of her name.

"Thirteen more months left for the event. We need to prepare for it very carefully. She is the most important part of the event and she should never come to know of our plans. Only then, will our Parasadevi be happy and satisfied."

Parasadevi was the goddess who had been worshipped at the temple years ago.

"How can she find out anything? My wife and I have always been careful around her. We have waited so long for her to attain this age. We would never be irresponsible enough to let down our goddess or our village. By this time next year, she will not be with us as she will be sacrificed for our Parasadevi."

The sun took a bow slowly and clouds gathered as the bright morning gave way to a grey afternoon. Rewa was rooted to the spot in shock as the meaning of their words sunk into her slowly. In fear, she stumbled backwards but the small statue of an animal protruding out of the ground struck her and she fell down with a thump.

Hearing the noise, the men rushed out and finding her they looked at each other in confusion. As she lay stricken on the ground in panic and horror, one of the men grabbed her hand and yanked her to her feet. Then dragging her to her house by hand, they shoved her into the attic and locked the door of the attic.

She trembled in fright as she had recognized the voice of her father as one of the men inside the dark chamber.

                                                                              ********************